• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

First bunny... Netherland dwarf

Gingypig

Alpha Buck
Hello

I'm new to rabbits and am thinking of getting a Netherland dwarf.

I have loads of guinea pigs (18!) and i am fully aware of the separate needs of each. I just have some questions which i was hoping you guys could help me with....

I have a 6ft x 2ft hutch, is this ok for a nethie and possibly a friend for him in due course? I am thinking they can have the run of the patio also. and the garden when i'm in.

Feeding greens? is it true bunnies under 6 months should not have greens, this seems odd as they would live on grass etc in the wild???

Neutering a boy bunny... how old?

Umm can't think of any more questions but i'm sure i will

Thank you xxx

the hutch size sounds great :thumb: and the run of the patio is also a good idea as the contcrete can help keep their nails from overgrowing although their nails will still need regular checks ;).

cant help with the greens as ive actually fed all my buns under 6 months greens before i even heard it was bad for them although im not sure if its a myth or not :? and my buns have been fine :?

a male can be neutered as soon as his plums have dropped :D a female will all depend on your vet really girls can be spayed from as young as 12 weeks but theres some vets who prefere to wait until their 6 months old.

if you have any more questions dont hesitate to ask :D

:wave: Hiya fancy seeing you on here ;) I'm sure you'll find all the information you need on here for bunnies.

As far as greens go, rabbits tummies aren't so robust as piggies tums and any veg should be introduced very slowly but as far as I know you can start giving them a bit - you may find the breeder/rescue has already been giving him a bit. Like piggies, you will need to feed the same brand food and switch over very gradually and unlimited hay from the beginning

You might want to consider getting an older rabbit, babies are cute but with an older bun you see what you get - their personality is established and if they're from a rescue they're usually neutered for you. You'll find Nethies in rescue needing a good home.

Have fun finding your rabbit :)

Kathryn x

Hi Kathryn! thanks for the advise all very welcome... I'm sure i will come up with plenty of questions soon enough.

I am very excited about getting a bunny, I've had most other types of pets (hamsters, birds, chickens, dogs, cats, fish, etc etc) but never a bunny (i think it's cause my mum loves pigs so that's what we always had!

xxx

Oh I love nethies! :) I got Tia from a rescue and she was a sweetie - There are lots of nethies in rescue if you look on the listings on rabbit rehome, and they will come ready neutered and vaccinated too, which will save you around £100!

I had one when I was little and my sister had the male. Both were friendly enough as I remember although they soon 'disappeared' when she ate successive litters :cry:

I daren't ask my dad what happened to Bambi and Twinkle :?

I had one when I was little and my sister had the male. Both were friendly enough as I remember although they soon 'disappeared' when she ate successive litters :cry:

I daren't ask my dad what happened to Bambi and Twinkle :?

oh no :( probably best you don't know :?

I had one called Bubbles and my sister's was called Lucky.

It's so sad when bunnies are in rescue for so long isn't it but if he has a few problems he's possibly not the best first rabbit for someone

Yeh made me cry too!! I'm in Rugeley, Staffs. :wave:

I would take on a problem rescue as even though i have not had a rabbit of my own before I have had loads of animals throughout my life and consider myself and experienced animal owner.

Fred looks like he needs somone like me!! :cry:

I would highly suggest adopting!! And also, for your first rabbit, I suggest getting an older rabbit. Not necissarily old as in years and years, but around a year or so. They have already gone through *hopefully* the chewing/peeing/aggressive/mellow/hormonal phase. Also, like someone else mentioned, most adoptable buns have already been altered! And you're helping a bun in need :D

*stands up*
Hello, my name's Helen, and I'm a nethie-a-holic!

I love them, their little apple heads, and short ears. I have 3 boys, one inside who lives with us, and two (brothers) outside. They are lovely natured (now they're neutered;) ) and sooo cute.

Just because I never miss an opportunity :oops: here are my terrors

Squidgy (our indoor, incisorless bun)
P4190004.jpg

Salt and Pepper
P4140041.jpg

Awww thanks for those pics helen, they are just the cutest!! I can see myself getting rather addicted to nethies!! I am going to see some tomorrow and I can't imagine I will be able to come home without one!!! xxx

Back