• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Protecting from foxes

Lynette

Warren Scout
Hello,

My OH is in the process of making a hutch for Rusty to stay in for the week while we go o holiday. He is going to be staying with his parents for the week who always used to have rabbits - so they know what they are doing.

I just wanted some advice on protecting from foxes. The hutch is 6ft by 3ft and as it is only for the week we have not done a run and his parents will let him out in the secure garden under supervision. As Rusty has never been outside before i'm terrified that the hutch wont be safe enough - Kev keeps on saying Mr. Fox will need a tool box to get in; but how easy can a fox get in and are there any precautions I should be taking?

Thank you

From a very worried Rabbit owner X

I would say -
use good quality weld mesh (not anything that resembles chicken wire),
to attach the mesh - don't use the flimsy staples that commercial hutchmakers use - get some proper garden pins.
And make sure that everything has proper bolts... should be fine! :D
Also - it is nice to have a box or something to bolt into to make him feel secure if mr. fox does come over to investigate...

I always put rugs over my hutches at night, even when it's warm, and stand some wire panels around the rugs, but you could put a bin there or something - this is just so it doesn't smell rabbity, which will attract a fox, and so that the rabbits can't see any cats or foxes that come around, as they can die of fright in fact. Wilkos do cheap 'runner' rugs for £4 each - you'd need 4.

Also, just because his parents have had rabbits in the past doesn't mean they are going to know what your rabbit is used to - it's important that his routine of feeding and what you normally feed him, is kept to.

Personally with a hutch that big I wouldn't risk letting him loose in the garden - he will have plenty of room in there just for a week, and will probably feel more secure and less unsettled if he's just left in his 'safe place'.

Thanks for the tips. That really helps. Still very worried but i'll get something to cover the mesh for the nights and take his fave box to sleep in. I shall be leaving detailed instructions of feeding etc.

Back