• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Abcessed bunny... pregnant? HELP

Jessika

Young Bun
Alrighty, my bunny Starr is just over one year old. She has three tooth root abcesses and has already had 4 surgeries for them.

A few weeks ago, my little sisters let my buck out and I found them in the same cage together... I thought he was only in there for a few seconds, and I wasn't too worried. Neither was my vet.

I take her out today for her bunny mash and I see that her belly is swollen and her mammaries are swollen.

I guess it's too late for an emergency spay, but I want to know what the risk is for her, and what the risk would be for her babies. We lost all of her last litter because she got spooked and stomped on them. We were just going to get her spayed when she got sick

Someone help me, please. I have no idea what to do.

Hiya,

If she's that far advanced the the vet probably can't do an emergency spay now. If you know the date then you could check with the vet. Unfortunately it only takes a few seconds and you're vet should have been more cautious about the risk of pregnancy.

Babies should arrive 28 days after the buck was with her. There isn't much you can do other than make sure she has plenty of bedding to make a nest and keep things around her quiet. Sometimes female rabbits will kill their babies (especially first time mums or if they get stressed). All you can do is cross your fingers she'll be a better mum this time around.

Any pregnancy put a strain on the mum so if she's run down form the teeth issues you'll need to make sure she has plenty to eat to keep the weight on. The only added difficulty is if she needs treatment whilst she's nursing the babies as antibiotics aren't good for babies.

The main risk for the babies is that if she has teeth problems then they could well have them too. You can help by making sure there is plenty of hay around as they develop and you'll need to warn people when you rehome them about the possibility of complications with their teeth.

Tamsin

Back