• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fixed male + unfixed younger woman???

Dustbunny

Warren Scout
On behalf of a friend who just got a 7 week old doe to accompany her year old fixed male, will these two get along well? They apparently got on very well in neutral territory (licking, snuggling, etc), but once she placed the doe and buck in his cage, he became slightly territorial and began to mount her... She thought this would be fairly normal, but was wondering how long it would take to get rid of this behaviour. Thanks for your help!!

I would like to know if this works aswell. it seems our girls have been fighting and one has bitten the others ears sowe areondering if putting the girl with my neuterd buck is a good idea:?

We have twice put in a young unspayed doe with a neutered older buck. What tended to happen was if the doe was sexually mature her hormones would excite the male and he would mount her. This didn't happen very often and the girls actually seemed to want it! :shock: :oops: :lol: Once the girls were spayed though this stopped.

AMETHYST

On behalf of a friend who just got a 7 week old doe to accompany her year old fixed male, will these two get along well? They apparently got on very well in neutral territory (licking, snuggling, etc), but once she placed the doe and buck in his cage, he became slightly territorial and began to mount her... She thought this would be fairly normal, but was wondering how long it would take to get rid of this behaviour. Thanks for your help!!

Did your friend throroughly clean out his hutch with something like vinigar to get rid of his scent? If not, that would explain his behavour.

His the male been neutured long? Sometimes it takes quite a while for hormones to settle down.

Nicola

I'm not sure if she cleaned the cage or not with vinegar, but I will definately pass that on. I do know however that he was recently neutered... So there are 2 reasons why this may have happened!!! Thanks so much for your help everyone... my friend really appreciates it!!!

For one thing, a 7 week old baby rabbit should still be with mum.

For another thing, leaving mum, going to pet shop or wherever, then to a new home is incredibly stressful for a baby rabbit, and the change in food often kills them - How will she feed what the baby's used to eating if the baby's living with an adult rabbit?

Another thing, this adult male rabbit will attack anything that invades his territory - his cage should be thoroughly cleaned, deodorised, moved to a new postition etc. And knowing bunny cages it is no way big enough for 2 rabbits anyway. Bonding needs to be on neutral territory, and they should be left for a few days on neutral territory, to make sure all is OK - And that's between 2 ADULT rabbits - this baby cannot defend itself in any way!

I feel so sorry for this poor little bunny - it needs TLC not humping from an aggressive giant :(

What Elve said.

However, once baby bun is a bit older & food has been changed over gradually etc, they could be introduced on neutral territory.

I had an unspayed doe living with 4 neutered males & 4 spayed females & everyone got along fine. I've often found that if a male bun is used to living alone, they are quite "humpy" to start with, but it soon dies down. They may need to be kept neutral for longer though.

My doe has now been spayed. I waited a bit longer cos she was so tiny!

ive managed to bond a neutered buck and an un-neutered doe but they were father and daughter and they were bonded when the doe was 8 weeks old and not once did they fight although when i tried bonding Crystal (when she wasnt speyed) with the neutered buck it all ended in a big fight :shock: i suppose it all depends on teh rabbit and i do suggest letting the baby settle in first before bonding becuase of stress and the change over period of the diet.

I've always read it's best to have both buns neutered before introducing them but I've not got to that stage yet!

My boy is neutered but my girl isn't. I'm keeping them seperate until she is spayed and recovered because I'm new to bonding bunnies and would prefer it to go as smoothly as possible and give them the best chance of being friends :)

I just got back from visiting my friend and though I do agree with you Elve, but the two of them do seem to get on well, and the little one has found her place with the older one. I advised her to keep the baby out of his cage for at least a week or 2, and my friend seemed to understand. The cage seems big enough (they're both dwarf breeds, but she hasn't been keeping them both in unless supervised, and then only for several mins), and both bunnies get out every day. She also has the same food the baby was being fed in the pet shop.Anyway, everyone's information was very helpful to her and I just want to pass on her thanks to everyone that responded. If anyone has any comments or ideas, feel free to email her at

head_n_the_sky@yahoo.co.uk

I bonded Molly and Faline when she was about 12 weeks and un spayed. I've only got her spayed a few weeks ago and they got on fine until then, other than the initial bonding kinks.

Forgot to add. Molly never once humped Faline, which I guess is a bit odd, but he never really exhibited any hormonal behaviours even before he was done. I guess he's just not very manly. She however occassionally humps him.

Back