• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Longcoats

WalnutEarth626

Alpha Buck
Thought I'd show off some very cute babies from my latest litter - only one slight problem, they're longcoats :roll: Absolutely beautiful but I hate trying to find homes for them, i'm always terrified they'll end up matted and neglected :cry: (Please note I didn't intend to breed these, they popped out of 2 short coated rabbits mated together - its called law of sod! :lol: :roll: )

Anyway here they are, meet Snowman (REW) and Simon (Agouti) they are 7 week old bucks and are Longcoated German Lops - or 'Continental Cashmeres'

DSC01317.jpg

DSC01318.jpg

DSC01324.jpg

DSC01329.jpg

I love your shepherds face just to the side of the trampoline! :lol: Gorgeous buns, I had a cashmere lop many years ago who unfortunately died of VHD but she was gorgeous, don't think i would have a long hair again though, not got the time to dedicate to all that grooming! good luck finding good homes. x Jess

Awwww they are so cute:love: :love:
I have a long haired piggie who i admit is a little matted at the moment:oops: She squeels the neighbourhood down when i brush her.She is having a serious haircut at the weekend:lol: :lol:

aaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwww they are adorable!! :D So glad im far away from you.. my bf would kill me if i came home with more fluffies :oops: :lol:

They are beautiful! The REW looks like my Betty...apart from Betty just has the hair 'do and not the rest of the long fur.

Gemma xx

PS Love the German Shepherd too!

:love: :love: :love: they're absolutely beautiful - if I could afford another rabbit I'd have one in a shot

LOL be really easy to get one to you, I have a really good friend in Lancs - not that I'm trying to tempt you at all! :lol:

Yeah the dog loves the rabbits. Made me laugh, Simon kept running round the trampoline, and Czar was chasing him following him round the edge, all you could see was a rabbit followed by this pair of ears showing above the edge of the trampoline in hot pursuit! :lol: :lol:

Beautiful and extremely well cared for Continental Cashmere Lops you have there:D
I know how hard it is to keep Cashmeres in Great condition, as we have four here at the Sanctuary. Do you have any grooming tips for us all?
Best wishes

Beautiful and extremely well cared for Continental Cashmere Lops you have there:D
I know how hard it is to keep Cashmeres in Great condition, as we have four here at the Sanctuary. Do you have any grooming tips for us all?
Best wishes

Thank you - they are gorgeous aren't they :D

I'll be honest and say these haven't needed any grooming yet - they're only 7 weeks. But I had a look at them last night and the coat is now long enough that they will need grooming so I think I'll bring them in tonight and they can have their first grooming session. I'm quite an experienced groomer as I used to show Angoras - and obviously they have to be completely tangle free at all times. I love grooming, I find it so theraputic!

The best advice is little and often - 15 minutes a day should be all they need - any longer than that and you stress them out and upset them. I try to use combs as little as possible - teasing any knots gently with fingers is far more effective. I have to say I prefer the Angora grooming method to Cashmere, Angora breeders use a Hairdryer on cool and use it to blow into the coat, it seperates all the strands and makes it really easy to see and get rid of any knots. Angoras shouldn't have combs used on them at all as it pulls out the fragile tips at the end of the coat. Its a long time since I've groomed a Cashmere so that will take some getting used to again!

Back