• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How much is a good donation?

JellyBelly

Mama Doe
Ok a question for rescues:
I understand a donation is a a donation but how much is adequate to donate for:
  • a guinea pig
  • a rabbit

I may be adopting from the RSPCA and i have in mind what i would donate for a pair of guinea pigs and i dont think its too little but wouldnt want to insult them by giving a s**t doantion!

My local rescue only asked for £8 for Beau :shock: I didnt give a huge money donation when I collected because its mainly a cat and dog rescue and I really wanted to do something for the bunnies they have in, so I did a huge order from bunnybasics and the hay experts and took it up for them a couple of weeks later.

I have been collecting a few items to donate at the same time (water bottles etc) but i am just not sure how much money?
I haven't actually seen any guinea pigs i want but i just want to be prepared :)

Are you sure they don't have a set minimum?

If not I've seen some rescues advertising neutered guinea pigs for a £25 donation, un-neutered £15.

For a neutered vaccinated rabbit I think £40 is about average ish.

The website says there is no minimum. They also don't neuter the guinea pigs (afaik from reading their website)....
I may well look into rescues again as i would like a pair to bond with my two ladies. My local RSPCA don't have any ladies at the moment.

I'd say £40 for a rabbit (neutered and vaccinated) and £25 for a pair of guinea pigs.

For a rabbit I would donate what it would cost me for the neutering/vaccs (about £40-50). I guess that's more difficult for a guinea pig. I'm not sure what the current 'going rate' is but I guess they're about £20 in a petshop so I'd happily pay that.

Keeping in mind the cash is helping out a rescue not lining a businesses profits I'd happily pay over the odds if I could afford it.

Tam

Thats our minimum but more is always welcome, I think guinea pigs are expensive to keep properly. Food dearer than rabbits etc, but you don't usually have the large vets bills to offset.

If I ever adopt a bun from a rescue I'd happily pay £100 or more per bun as it's about 50 quid for a spay/neuter, plus £19 for each vaccination, so that's £90 I would have spent anyway and I couldn't let the rescue be out of pocket!

We charge £28 per guinea pig but this does inculde neutering,health check,information pack and goodie bag. That cost is for both neutered males and neutered females.

There was no set donation when I got Ruby and I gave £20 as she was not spayed or vacced. I also send a Christmas donation to the rescue every year.
Salt and Pepper were from Honeybunny's and the donation was £35 each, they were neutered and myxi vacced, so I didn't mind that at all.

The RSPCA where Alfred came from, asked for £15 donation for a rabbit, which I gladly gave. Although I have another donation and goody bag ready to take to them at the weekend to celebrate his "gotcha day"

Over here, SPCA ask for $45 for a rabbit. And if the rabbit is not spayed, that's a fair price, because that's just the cost of leasing of SPCA. After all, rabbit food and water is cheap.

However, some times they have some spay rabbit, and a surgery like that is $200. So they actually saved me $200. These rabbits are most likely spay by prev. owner's vet and somehow the prev. owner can't have the rabbit for whatever reason.

In short, for a spay rabbit, the cost well worth $200. So if you have the money you can donate GBP 100.

Donations required

I wish all people were as generous as you. I run a boarding service and rescue centre and lately I have taken in 10 hamsters, mum, dad and 8 eight babies, 1 guinea pig, 2 chinchillas and 9 rabbits. the rabbits all need to be innoculated and neutered, three of the rabbits are booked in for next week. these people just drop off their unwanted animals and expect the rescue centres to cover all the costs and its not cheap. i have now added a donations page to my website and am hoping there are some generous people out there to help me.
Four of the above mentioned rabbits were left in my porch so the people who dropped these off were not even sure i was about to take care of them. they were left in a cardboard box, again, mum, dad and two babies. they could have died in the heat of the porch. these, i am glad to say, have all been re-homed. God, it make me so angry at some peoples attitudes towards the animals.

I wish all people were as generous as you. I run a boarding service and rescue centre and lately I have taken in 10 hamsters, mum, dad and 8 eight babies, 1 guinea pig, 2 chinchillas and 9 rabbits. the rabbits all need to be innoculated and neutered, three of the rabbits are booked in for next week. these people just drop off their unwanted animals and expect the rescue centres to cover all the costs and its not cheap. i have now added a donations page to my website and am hoping there are some generous people out there to help me.
Four of the above mentioned rabbits were left in my porch so the people who dropped these off were not even sure i was about to take care of them. they were left in a cardboard box, again, mum, dad and two babies. they could have died in the heat of the porch. these, i am glad to say, have all been re-homed. God, it make me so angry at some peoples attitudes towards the animals.

Ohhh I'm in love with Lily on your site, is she still looking for a home :love:

Lily

Yes she is, there have been a couple of people come to see her but because she needs quite a lot of grooming, they have not homed her

I ask a minimum of £40 for a pair of guinea pigs but this will include a neutered male. Pets at home charge £35 for a pair with neither neutered so I don't think this is unreasonable. And they seem to be flying out the door - 20 this month already so obviously people think it is fair.

We donated £20 for each of our rabbits, but we also pop to see them a couple of times a year with donations and, of course, some piccies.

Back