• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Myxomatosis vaccinations

rineyroo

Mama Doe
I took Horris for his myxi today and apparently now it has to be done every six months. Is this something every vet is now doing or is it because I live in a high risk area (East Devon)? Also Horris now has spurs on his teeth :'(

I took Horris for his myxi today and apparently now it has to be done every six months. Is this something every vet is now doing or is it because I live in a high risk area (East Devon)? Also Horris now has spurs on his teeth :'(

Its been recommended as every 6 months for years now ;)

I was told 6 months because Hamphire is high risk. The vet said that cos he's an indoor bunny 'he wouldn't mind if we didn't respond to the 6 month reminder' . I think I will get him done every 6 months tho as he does go out on the balcony.

Unless you can guarantee your house is fly free then indoor bunnies are at risk too :(

I've been told 12 months as I'm in a low risk area and have house bunnies.. o_O

"Protection is simple, through vaccination. Experts recommend vaccinating healthy rabbits over six weeks of age, with those rabbits at particular risk receiving a booster vaccination at six monthly intervals to maintain optimal protection."

Last edited:
I live in Hampshire and have 2 indoor buns and my vet stated 6 monthly vaccinations without a doubt. Even if the vet gave me the option I wouldn't put them at risk x

Well, I trust my vet and the manufacturers even say that they need a booster every 6 months if in a high risk area, so I'm satisfied I am doing the right thing.

Thanks for that extra info, I was going to ge Bertie refreshed at 6 months anyway, but I'm surprised by the vets advice now. He's a realy good bunny savvy vet too :shock:

My vet told me that the information that he recieved was contradictory. The vaccine-makers said 'rabbits need to be vaccinated with this vaccine every year. This vaccine is effective for 6 months'. My vet says that he sees more and more vaccinated rabbits coming down with myxi, and so EVEN THOUGH I AM NOT IN A HIGH RISK AREA he recommends every 6 months. My rabbits will certainly be vaccinated every 6 months from now on.

The intervet website says:

In the present state of knowledge no firm recommendation for revaccination frequency can be made but it is suggested that animals should be revaccinated annually in May/June just prior to the myxomatosis season as most myxomatosis in Britain occurs in late summer, autumn and early winter months. Where there is high risk of myxomatosis infection revaccination every six months is suggested.

So how do you know if you're in a high risk area? Is it your vet's say-so?

Back