• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Supporting your local rescues

BirdieBun

Wise Old Thumper
I have noticed recently that people seem to be offering homes to bunnies in locations far from their homes.

Well I just wanted to talk a bit about how I feel, my 1st priority when I rescued my buns was to help out my local RSPCA which I did by offering homes to both Orchid and Bino. Then of course I was allerted to the situation my Poppet was living in so did travel an hour to collect him from a place I would not say I would want to visit again :cry:

Now as most of you know Tree has been a rescue for a while now and when I had to find a friend for Bambi of course it was Tree that I went to as she is local to me and a friend. And she would always be my priority for future rescue buns now.

I worry about transporting buns far distances as although I have done a few bunny runs with Tree in the past I dont feel long dinstance drives are fair to buns :?

An exception to this IMO is say a bun has been waiting a very long time for a home obviously people local to that bun have not offered a home so then a more distant home would be considered to give the bun a chance of finding a forever home.

So basically what I am saying is how many of you would say you are loyal to local rescues rather than travelling a long distance to a preferred rescue/particular bun? Or do you tend to go for a bun where rescues "put the bun under your nose" situation?

I made this point to someone the other day - why the need to have a bun fostered or reserved for several days/weeks until a bunny run can be organised, put the bun through the stress of two (or more) "homes" or having to stay in a rescue longer than necessary, and then travelling a large distance unless there was 110% no alternative home nearer. If you have the space for a bun then why not get one from a nearer rescue?
Know I've 'fallen for' a few buns on RR but when looking I looked at all the local ones first and if it wasn't for my inability to stay away from free-to-good home ads on Freeads :roll: I would've gone to ARC for a girlfriend for Ben as they're the nearest to be (or Greenfields)
I know there are some buns you just love the look of but when it involves lots of travelling and the bun going through several upheavals surely it's just being selfish :?
I've helped out with "rat trains" in the rat fancy but rats travel so much better than rabbits - mine love coming on the train to Devon with me! However even then, I still think it makes more sense to find an animal nearer to you and save them the stress of travelling so far.

Karly I definitely agree with you. I know when I get my bun from Tree, I dont care what they look like its more a case of who gets on with my buns now as with past bunny fights I couldn't do that again so with Bobby of course he is 100% adorable but he was small and as Bambi had a huge fear of my 3 buns I thought a smaller bun would be good for her and he sure was she adores him!

I also am lucky that Tree is a friend, cares for bunnies extremely well and when I have a bun from her, they are neutered, vaccinated against both myx and vhd and have a clean bill of health, and I am reassured that any illnesses they have she would fully inform me :D

I agree too

I had George formally Iceman from littlecrittez, there was an appeal for him on the rabs in need and he'd been born there and was a year old and nobody wanted him, so it pulled on the heart strings. With Dylan aka Paw's I just lost Marley and he was marley looky likey, he'd gone out of Kays, but had been taken back so it felt like fate as I needed Marley back. I have some Kirby fosters, that would never of found a home. I felt that I could give them love and time that they wouldn't already have. Other than that I've always supported LucyHP and had my buns from her, as she was the closest rescue and I've also helped Midlands pet welfare.

I can understand if you fall in love with a specific bun you would want that one no matter where they were, but other than that I don't get it. I was a little upset the other day when someone from Nottingham went to another rescue, even though they had no bun in mind, while there are Kirby bunnies desperate and dying in rescue, because no one wants them :cry:

I think people tend to fall for a certain bun..in most of our distant homings they have seen a bun on RR or here and just gone "aww!"..

and a rescue bun is a rescue bun afterall..:D

In our situation I'm glad people don't always stick to their local rescue as we would very rarely home any animals..Leicester is bad for dumping them not good for rehoming:cry:

and certainly if you want to help rescue animals in general try and help your local rescue by offering physical help with cleaning etc..and fundraising.:D

Yeah, I've got loads of "boring" looking animals but their personalities more than make up for it! Most of my rats are hooded, which is pretty much the most common marking you can get, and on top of that most of them are the 'boring' coloured hoodies too like black and champagne :lol: :roll: However, they are so cheeky you could never get away with calling them boring!
Ben is 'just' an agouti minilop but he's such a 'pretty' bun IMO. Though Rose is very gorgeous looking, she's not spectacularly fluffy or got huge ears or anything special.
I'll always have a huge soft spot for black bunnies too, after Mary :love:

I also am lucky that Tree is a friend, cares for bunnies extremely well and when I have a bun from her, they are neutered, vaccinated against both myx and vhd and have a clean bill of health, and I am reassured that any illnesses they have she would fully inform me :D

Mate to be fair there are a lot of fab rescues that do the same as me.

In our situation I'm glad people don't always stick to their local rescue as we would very rarely home any animals..Leicester is bad for dumping them not good for rehoming:cry:

.:D

To be fair though, if everyone travels then local rescues do suffer, I think it's bad dumping ground everywhere, poor bunnies get such a rough time.

Without starting an argument here..
we have all been advised not to "get at" people who buy rabbits from breeders or petshops..
but now there is criticism being levelled at people who choose to adopt a rescue bun..due to which rescue......I do think this is being a bit hard.....

but I know of people in Leics who have gone to other rescues far away ..and it really is bad here..I've only homed about 30% of the honeybunnies within Leicestershire:(..so we would be stumped without people willing to travel

Last edited:
Our longest rehome, sheffield to goole, came about as the couple adopted a rescue rabbit who was partnered with a nethie male who was unwell enough to be homed.....they waited weeks for him (dont ask me why they split them up) but the rescue still felt he was too unwell to be rehomed. They had set their heart on a Nethie and I had reluctantly put Tyler up for adoption (I so wanted to keep him) so when they enquired I agreed to meet them and the rabbit as I didnt know how mauch longer I could hold out :oops:

The big problem for me was bonding, I have a good record and prefere to do it myself but with the long distance they were reluctant to make two trips with the rabbits so after a few hours at mine they went home then continued with phone instructions. All went well but not sure if I would do it again :?

we have all been advised not to "get at" people who buy rabbits from breeders or petshops..
but now there is criticism being levelled at people who choose to adopt a rescue bun..due to which rescue......I do think this is being a bit hard.....

Who's arguing Jill :? , no one is being critised.

I've thought about this before.

I'm quite shallow with the buns I've got from rescues - they've all been ones "i fell in love with". None of them would have been hard to home, & distance didn't bother me, if the rescues were happy.

I have only really got involved with 2 rescues - one I got 3 my first 4 rescues from, that's about an hour away, & one that is really local & I fostered for (& kept her:oops: ). My only distant one (Calel) was cos no one else wanted him & I thought I'd like a challenge:roll: <stupid, stupid girl>

I've always stated i'm shallow with buns looks though. I have wondered when a few people say they would help ANY bun & then a bunny run is done for the sweetest, cutest looker ever, but the local long-termers are left to rot:cry: That's not aimed at anyone - like I say, I'm shallow:lol: .

I would only ask the Rescues I know to rehome one of my fosters. There's always the risk on a forum that people aren't who you think, & I want any bun that's stayed with me to be going somewhere I know, or recommended by the people I know.

As far as stressing a bun out - my Flint does NOT travel well. A vet's trip stops him eating, & a couple of my fosters have been extra-nervous in the car. All the others have got stressed, but recovered quite quickly. Alex climbs out of the carrier & sprawls on the passenger seat:? . But I think if it's a one-off journey to a permanent loving home, it can be worth it. It's only a shame if these buns are then returned:(

Incidentally - with my shallow about a buns looks comment. If I got another now, I'd want a hard to homer or a biter.;) I got my cute buns now:lol: I would look nationwide to find one evil/ugly enough:lol:

I agree too- I can't understand why people put a bunn through a really long journey when they could have gone to their local rescue and still helped a bun in need!

The only exceptions in my opinion are if someone has fallen madly in love with a bunn on RR at a rescue miles away (although even then there's probably equally as lovely bunns at a local one! :D )

Or, if there has been a hard to home bunn in rescue ages/ or a particular rescue is over run, I think these are more valid reasons to help a rescue a long way away.

There are a lot of rescues on here, and surely it makes sense to point newbies (and oldies!) on this site in the direction of their local rescue/ or one particularily in need?

but I know of people in Leics who have gone to other rescues far away ..and it really is bad here..I've only homed about 30% of the honeybunnies within Leicestershire:(..so we would be stumped without people willing to travel

There wont be an argument. Where is anybody getting at anybody? :?

I was just asking people views on local rescues and what ticks their boxes when it comes to rehoming - there isn't a problem with me doing that is there? :shock:

I agree too- I can't understand why people put a bunn through a really long journey when they could have gone to their local rescue and still helped a bun in need!

The only exceptions in my opinion are if someone has fallen madly in love with a bunn on RR at a rescue miles away (although even then there's probably equally as lovely bunns at a local one! :D )

Or, if there has been a hard to home bunn in rescue ages/ or a particular rescue is over run, I think these are more valid reasons to help a rescue a long way away.

There are a lot of rescues on here, and surely it makes sense to point newbies (and oldies!) on this site in the direction of their local rescue/ or one particularily in need?

I agree with you Mandy :D

The thread title is about supporting local rescues, how is that criticising people who choose to rescue? :?
I think the thread is more aimed at people who have local rescues chockablock of suitable bunnies but choose to get a bun from the other side of the country 'just because', when said bun could be homed closer to home. It doesn't just affect the bun in question, the effort gone into transporting the bun, people fostering it, the rescue reserving it - this effort/space/time could be used to help several other rabbits.

I agree with most of the points and i have tried to encourage people to hlep their local rescue with fundraising etc before..
but as we live in a bad area for homing I am biased..as already said we would have real problems homing any rabbit if we stuck with just Leicester people..
we have found some very good homes in this county...but they are few and far between..:(

I can see if someone falls in love with a bun at a different Rescue why they would travel, but if it's a general enquiry, then yes, I think they should go local.

However, adoption fees vary greatly. I wouldn't care about a bun being neutered now, cos I would get it done myself, but it would've bothered me, when I was getting my early Rescues. I would want them neutered already. My local rescue charges a really, really low amount for a neutered bun, but there's one about half hour from me that charges more than 3 times that for same neutered bun (not on here, before you all start guessing!!). I doubt either recoup their costs, but that would've swayed me too in the early days.

I can understand if you fall in love with a specific bun you would want that one no matter where they were, but other than that I don't get it. I was a little upset the other day when someone from Nottingham went to another rescue, even though they had no bun in mind, while there are Kirby bunnies desperate and dying in rescue, because no one wants them :cry:

I assume you are talking about me here -

Of course I considered Kirkby! I look at their rabbits on RR all the time.
I have offered to go help out there on several occasions.
At the moment they have no single neutered males in.
In any case, the other rescue is only an hour away.
I chose the particular buck based on the description of his temperament, it stated that he was good with other rabbits, male and female - so perfect for bonding him into my group of 4

I don't see why I have to justify myself - it's not like I've gone to a pet shop! I narrowed a list of potentials down based on suitability, and let my o/h make the final decision.

Back