• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is she a Silver Martin?

Crazyt123

Alpha Buck
Hi all I own this Beautiful little girl named Rudy .She is a calm mild temperment rabbit. Im almost sure she is a Silver Martin but just want to hear yalls opiniomns>She is not fully grown yet she's prob 4 or 5 monthsd old

BTW She has a rich blacck coat.The flash makes her look like she could be a Blue Silver

rudyandprince012.jpg

rudyandprince011.jpg

Last edited:
Are you in the US? In the Uk there is no such breed as Silver Marten. Your girl is definately Marten Sable colour - but her coat looks too short to be a Marten Sable breed (theres the breed and also the colour - just to confuse things!) Sable coats are 2 inches long. Yours looks more rexy -is she rexed?

Yes Im in The US .Im sorry but what do you mean by Rexed?Would you happen to know the texture of a silver martins fur??

Does she has a velvety coat and curly/wonky whiskers? That would make her a rex :)

She dose have cruly ish whiskers.

Also do you know at like 4 or 5 months how much a Rex would usaly weigh?

(sorry for bombarding you with questions)

Does your buns fur feel dense and like velvet? that makes them a rex. She does look like got curly whiskers but her fur doesnt look rex to me.
Her colouring I think is Black Silver Martin like this CLICK
She would be more blue'ish if she were Silver Martin like this CLICK

How much does she weigh? I believe it is the standard rex standard to weigh anywhere from 6 to 10 lbs, but I may be mistaken. Mini rexes tend to weigh less.

The fur that associated with Rexes however seems to be lacking in this bunny.. but does have the body shaping that I would associate with a rex? The rex fur is plush and velvet-like.

She's stil growing and has barley started to get the features in her face.At the monent she is`2lbs9oz
I put some side by side pic of her next to a Silver Martin and then Her next to a rex
here they are
Her next to a Silver Martin
rudysliver.jpg

Her next to a rex
rudyrex.jpg

To me her body shape looks more like the Silvers's then to the Rex(or is it just me?)

and sorry if I seem anyonying and Thanks for yall help

Does your buns fur feel dense and like velvet? that makes them a rex. She does look like got curly whiskers but her fur doesnt look rex to me.
Her colouring I think is Black Silver Martin like this CLICK
She would be more blue'ish if she were Silver Martin like this CLICK

You've been looking on American sites - they call their colours/breeds different names to over here.

First Pic is Dark Marten Sable Netherland Dwarf.

Second pic is a Blue Silver Fox.

CrazyT I would say your doe is a cross between a 'Silver Marten' and a Rex - her coat isn't short enough to be a rex and you can see visible guard hairs that a rex doesn't have - however her coat is no where near long enough to be a Silver Marten. However her coat may moult out, sometimes my lops have rexy coats as babies - I'd be interested to see her after her next moult.

Back