• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Article on GI Stasis

Anyone who has had rabbits or even chinchillas for some time has had some kind of GI stasis scare.. I posted this in hopes of helping newer owners realize what it is, and how to prevent it if possible! :cry:

Thanks for the post, it's happened to Bertie once, only for 8 hours or so, but it was v. scarey, and the more info the better. :)

Good article - thanks.

Albert is still in hospital with GI problems.

I am going to send this article to the completely clueless vet locum we first saw who told us that "small animals like this hold food in their stomach and it will be OK for two to three days".

Obviously, we didn't wait, but after taking the poor bun home and seeing her not move for hours (he gave her a jab of antibiotics, no metaclopramide!) I wonder if that has contributed to the duration of her being poorly. The journey there and back stressed her. Fortunately, the nurse there knew more about rabbits than the :censored: vet.

I am so annoyed at this :censored: 'vet', who should have checked for goodness sake, rather than trotting out rubbish and compromising my pet's life while taking several hundred pounds.

I am annoyed at myself for not being more forceful with him at the time. Grrrrrrrrr!

As you can tell, I am pretty upset about Albert's scenario, and now she has become unbonded from our other rabbit – three fights within minutes of being exposed to one another.

Last edited:
It really annoys me when vets just make stuff up >( I respect them a lot more if they say 'I don't know what to do but I'm going to try and find out'.

A lot of the time when I was younger I had to tell them how to treat my small animals >( Thankfully now I have the best vet EVAR!

Back