• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Baby Rabbits in Backyard have Fly Strike

rs154196

New Kit
Hi. Three days ago, my step dad was digging in the backyard and accidently hit a nest of rabbits with a shovel. There were three of them, and only one was killed, and he put the dead one on the other side of the landscape and burried it, and covered the spot with grass clippings. He told us about it then, and we didnt worry about it till the next day.
Well I went outside to check on the nest where the live bunnys were, and apparently something had put the dead rabbit back into the nest, and there were tons of flys arround it, so I scoped it up with the shovel and threw it away. Checked the next day, and they were alright. I checked them today, but decided to take a look at one of them, and thought there was sawdust on its belly, but after looking closer, I noticed that it was a mat of fly eggs, and they where also all under its fur.

My question is, What do I do? My moms a nurse, so I told her to bring some lice combs home, but will that help? The sites on the internet made it sound like at this point, even if we clean them they are good as dead, if any maggots got under the skin. And I can only assume this already happened, because the spot the rabbit was laying in, already had some small maggots in it.

So... ?

Best advice is to contact a vet immediately. Flystrike is nasty and very quick to take hold. Whatever you do don't try to wash them off. Contact a vet, if they can't be saved at least they can be put out of their misery without suffering being eaten alive by the maggots - sorry that sounds so gruesome but unfortunately it is what happens. Good luck x Jess

Are these wild rabbits? If so get intoucch with a wildlife rescue. If treated quickly they can be saved. If these are pets then take them to a vet. If you can't find a wildlife rescue then again try a vet.

All the maggots/eggs need removing. If the skin is broken you need to watch carefully and remove them as they come out to breath. More info here: http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/rabrefs.html#fly

They'll need antibiotics and treatment for shock if the skin is broken.

Tam

baby bunnies in backyard

YOU NEED TO GET THOSE BABIES TO A VET STRAIGHT AWAY flystrike is horrific are they wild babies or domestic if you leave it they could die if they are wild the vets shouldnt have any problems with taking them alot of vets deal with wild life rescue but it is vital they see a vet
please please take them tonight if you can im sure other members on here will advise the same if you dont they will die alot of vets have an emergency service so should be able to help you

Thank you for the recomendations. I dont drive yet, but my parents should be home soon. Ill make sure to tell them what you told me.

Back