• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help telling the difference between hays... PICTURES

oscarbunny

Warren Veteran
I have attempted to get some hay from a local farm, and i spoke to the farmer on the phone and i couldnt understand a flaming word! I asked if the hay was sprayed with anything, which he said no.... and then i asked if it was meadow hay and he said yes but we call it soft hay. How can i tell for sure that it is meadow hay and not alfalfa or something? i have also ordered some posh hay for them as they prefer that anyway. There are other places which sell organic hay close to me, but due to the weather, they cant get any. :( could someone post some pics to help me...

Ok i have the hay...

looks very similar to the other meadow hay i have.... can anyone confirm that it is infact meadow hay

STA71997.jpg

STA71996.jpg

STA71995.jpg

Last edited:
Some farmers call it whatever they want to call it.. typical names for Meadow hay are "Grass hay", "Meadow Hay", "Bluegrass Hay", and apparantly, "Soft Hay" :lol:

From the description I would assume it is a grass/meadow hay.

You could always have a go up there, and take a peek at it. Take some of your usual hay for references, or even print off pictures online to compare. Might help :D

Alfalfa is more woody then hay and a bit green too, I think it's unlikely that he'll try and sell you a bale of alfalfa.

Good hay smells grassy and isn't dusty or full of thistles.

whenever I get hay from a farm, I ask if it's 'soft hay', if it is, then I buy it... I've had hay from 3 different places - all went down well. one farm/stables in particular has very good quality 'soft hay', so that's where I go now... the stuff in the photos looks nice, it should smell nice too though - you given it a whiff yet? :lol:

whenever I get hay from a farm, I ask if it's 'soft hay', if it is, then I buy it... I've had hay from 3 different places - all went down well. one farm/stables in particular has very good quality 'soft hay', so that's where I go now... the stuff in the photos looks nice, it should smell nice too though - you given it a whiff yet? :lol:

May I ask where you get your hay from? I'm always on the lookout for nice hay. :D

Amy

May I ask where you get your hay from? I'm always on the lookout for nice hay. :D

Amy

I get my hay from here:
Glebe Lodge
Willoughby Lane
WYSALL
Nottinghamshire
NG12 5QX
01509 880772

it's not that close to where I live, but I work in Gotham, so I pick it up then...
they also get A&P in for me :D - that is the main reason that I go there, but they happen to have the best hay in the area too :thumb:

Deffo not alfalfa thankfully! Looks just like medow, so really wouldn't worry as the fibre content between grass hays like that don't vary.:)

I get my hay from here:
Glebe Lodge
Willoughby Lane
WYSALL
Nottinghamshire
NG12 5QX
01509 880772

it's not that close to where I live, but I work in Gotham, so I pick it up then...
they also get A&P in for me :D - that is the main reason that I go there, but they happen to have the best hay in the area too :thumb:

Cheers for that :D

Do you know the opening times?

It might be because it is a horse farm that its particularily good. My horse- people friends tell me that the best quality hay are ones grown specifically for horses (that low quality hay is what is packaged)so I have been going to the best stables where I live since I found out, & my buns do prefer it to the regular (non horse) farm hay.

Thanks everyone... will be feeding it to the buns now. It smells nice and fresh. :D The farmer did say soft hay is meadow hay, but he was a proper farmer and talked really funny :lol: .

Back