• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

horses hay nets

BUBBLES

Mama Doe
i was wondering if could use them for rabbits

if i tie it up so its not on the floor but they could still eat the hay out of it

they have got them in tescos for just under 2 pound

Personally, I wouldn't. The holes are really big and even if they are tied up off the floor, I wouldn't put it past an enterprising bunny to get themself stuck in it.

You could try a hay rack or a roll-in-the-hay ball, they're more bunny friendly.

I use them and I haven't had a bun get caught up in them yet - although when I had one in with Jenny, Jerry, Seb and Cole I did lose a baby bun and found him asleep hidden in the hay in the net.

I can't remember how now, but I have made my own hay nets out of bailing twine! Need to save up quite a bit though and don't cut the twine but intie it at the knots (so you get nice long pieces!). Well that was about 15 years ago - learnt how on a pony week!

Last edited:
A metal hanging basket (or half circle one) makes a good hay rack. I'm not sure about the horse nets incase they try eating them ;)

this is my hayrack , it is a long outside hanging basket (just screws on the wall)

rabbits001.jpg

it only cost a few quid and is big enough for my two squish butss to get in easily :D i used a sheet of that weld mesh stuff and cable tied it on the inside just to make sure no bunny heads went in the gaps and got stuck (although i might be paranoid :? )

i would recomend them 100% i love my hay rack :D :oops:

You can get the hay nets with small holes, but I use mine just to store the hay in their sheds - I was worried they might eat the net!
I've used the half wall baskets before - they were good, but now I just put it on the floor for them!

this is my hayrack , it is a long outside hanging basket (just screws on the wall)

rabbits001.jpg

it only cost a few quid and is big enough for my two squish butss to get in easily :D i used a sheet of that weld mesh stuff and cable tied it on the inside just to make sure no bunny heads went in the gaps and got stuck (although i might be paranoid :? )

i would recomend them 100% i love my hay rack :D :oops:

i really like that

thats a brill idea :thumb: :thumb:

I don't even use them for my horse, after I found him one day laid on his back with one leg stuck in the air trapped in it:shock: He was so lucky not to break his leg.

I think buns would chew through it anyway to be honest. Metal ones would be best:D

Back