PDA

View Full Version : Think I'm going to have to move the bunnies inside

SarahP
26-06-2007, 12:29 PM
Am trying to plot this with the husband over MSN while he's at work (:lol: ), as my sicky bunnies seem so vulnerable at the moment to temperature changes. Clover stops eating about once a week at the moment, and usually either after being out all night. They have lots of hay to snuggle up in the hutch (except they don't - they sit outside all night, I think). :roll:

I just wish I had a bigger house. I can give them the run of the kitchen and hallway, I think. I have no room for a dog crate, but they seem to behave themselves in the kitchen.

I'm also a bit worried that this might become permanent, as I don't want them to become unhardened to the weather - I guess I've got a couple of months to play with there.

This is all becoming a total nightmare. :cry: They are back at the vets on Friday for another check up and to see if the vet has any more ideas. I have all the drugs here to stop the stasis before it really begins (usually only takes about a couple of hours after the first signs) but, apart from my stress levels, it's not exactly fun for the poor bunnies either. :(

Ben's mum
26-06-2007, 12:49 PM
Do you have space for a shed setup for them?

SarahP
26-06-2007, 12:51 PM
I've got a shed, but it's full of stuff (mainly their stuff, but it also has built in cupboards), and it gets boiling hot in the summer. The garden is too small for a playhouse, and their hutch cost about 250! :cry: :shock:

Kylie541
26-06-2007, 12:57 PM
Can't you fold the dog crate up when you are home? just put it out when u aren't around?

SarahP
26-06-2007, 01:01 PM
That is a thought, but they are actually pretty well-behaved in the kitchen (they don't chew on the cupboards etc, and there are no cables they can chew on). I think the reason I'd like a permanent dog crate for them would be so they can have a 'base' where they have all their hay and litter trays. I love having them indoors in some ways, but they make a right old mess!

Need to buy some high back litter trays to stop them from squirting over the edge too! :roll: :lol:

raine
26-06-2007, 02:40 PM
My girls are in my kitchen. I cut a huge cardboard box as a house and put it under the table. They intermittently stretch out by the french doors and if they want privacy or a bolt hole, they go into the box. When its old, I give them a new one.

SarahP
26-06-2007, 02:43 PM
Unfortunately my kitchen is tiny! :lol: No room for anything other than a couple of litter trays and food/water bowls. They can run round the hallway as well though.

SarahP
26-06-2007, 02:46 PM
Actually, it might help having the litter trays in a cut out box though - might help with some of the mess. Will sort one....

SarahP
28-06-2007, 10:45 PM
Well the bunnies are well and truly living it large indoors. They are so cute indoors!! :love:

Tamsin
28-06-2007, 10:56 PM
Rabbits are much more sensitive to hot weather than they are cold. Although the weather has been a bit grotty recently it's not really that cold. This sort of weather I wouldn't expect outdoor rabbits to be snuggling up.

It could be that something else is disturbing them outside though such as a cat, dogs or fox in the area?

I'm not sure what steps you've tried already but diet is usually the first thing e.g. cutting out pellets/veg and just feeding hay and then gradually reintroducing things and keeping a diary to see what triggers the problem.

You could also talk to your vet about blood/urine tests to check for under lying problems as bloat can be a secondary indicator of a different problem.

Tam

Neil-and-Maria
28-06-2007, 11:00 PM
We use those big dog beds for ours (some come with a solid bottom) from the car boots usually at around 50p to a 1 :shock: !
This is a Conti Giant (BooBoo) and a French Lop (Kitty) snoozing in one...

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t104/Neil-and-Maria/7bunnies004.jpg

Neil

SarahP
28-06-2007, 11:02 PM
It's OK - they are backwards and forwards to the vets (and have a very healthy diet). This problem has been going on for over a year now. All their problems appear to be connected to E. Cuniculi. They are back at the vets again tomorrow for a check up.

I agree, I don't think it should be too cold for them at the moment either - it's very odd. They just seem better when they are indoors. There are very few cats in the area, and I've never seen a fox. I know foxes can vault over high fences, but the entire garden is fenced in, which helps a lot. I just can't take chances anymore. :(

SarahP
28-06-2007, 11:03 PM
That's a good idea, Neil - thanks! :)