• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Think I'm going to have to move the bunnies inside

SarahP

Wise Old Thumper
Am trying to plot this with the husband over MSN while he's at work :)lol: ), as my sicky bunnies seem so vulnerable at the moment to temperature changes. Clover stops eating about once a week at the moment, and usually either after being out all night. They have lots of hay to snuggle up in the hutch (except they don't - they sit outside all night, I think). :roll:

I just wish I had a bigger house. I can give them the run of the kitchen and hallway, I think. I have no room for a dog crate, but they seem to behave themselves in the kitchen.

I'm also a bit worried that this might become permanent, as I don't want them to become unhardened to the weather - I guess I've got a couple of months to play with there.

This is all becoming a total nightmare. :cry: They are back at the vets on Friday for another check up and to see if the vet has any more ideas. I have all the drugs here to stop the stasis before it really begins (usually only takes about a couple of hours after the first signs) but, apart from my stress levels, it's not exactly fun for the poor bunnies either. :(

I've got a shed, but it's full of stuff (mainly their stuff, but it also has built in cupboards), and it gets boiling hot in the summer. The garden is too small for a playhouse, and their hutch cost about £250! :cry: :shock:

That is a thought, but they are actually pretty well-behaved in the kitchen (they don't chew on the cupboards etc, and there are no cables they can chew on). I think the reason I'd like a permanent dog crate for them would be so they can have a 'base' where they have all their hay and litter trays. I love having them indoors in some ways, but they make a right old mess!

Need to buy some high back litter trays to stop them from squirting over the edge too! :roll: :lol:

My girls are in my kitchen. I cut a huge cardboard box as a house and put it under the table. They intermittently stretch out by the french doors and if they want privacy or a bolt hole, they go into the box. When its old, I give them a new one.

Unfortunately my kitchen is tiny! :lol: No room for anything other than a couple of litter trays and food/water bowls. They can run round the hallway as well though.

Actually, it might help having the litter trays in a cut out box though - might help with some of the mess. Will sort one....

Well the bunnies are well and truly living it large indoors. They are so cute indoors!! :love:

Rabbits are much more sensitive to hot weather than they are cold. Although the weather has been a bit grotty recently it's not really that cold. This sort of weather I wouldn't expect outdoor rabbits to be snuggling up.

It could be that something else is disturbing them outside though such as a cat, dogs or fox in the area?

I'm not sure what steps you've tried already but diet is usually the first thing e.g. cutting out pellets/veg and just feeding hay and then gradually reintroducing things and keeping a diary to see what triggers the problem.

You could also talk to your vet about blood/urine tests to check for under lying problems as bloat can be a secondary indicator of a different problem.

Tam

We use those big dog beds for ours (some come with a solid bottom) from the car boots usually at around 50p to a £1 :shock: !
This is a Conti Giant (BooBoo) and a French Lop (Kitty) snoozing in one...

7bunnies004.jpg

Neil

It's OK - they are backwards and forwards to the vets (and have a very healthy diet). This problem has been going on for over a year now. All their problems appear to be connected to E. Cuniculi. They are back at the vets again tomorrow for a check up.

I agree, I don't think it should be too cold for them at the moment either - it's very odd. They just seem better when they are indoors. There are very few cats in the area, and I've never seen a fox. I know foxes can vault over high fences, but the entire garden is fenced in, which helps a lot. I just can't take chances anymore. :(

Back