• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What species rabbit is this? (56k pics)

Hey guys, I live in Canada and I don't know too much about rabbits. I've had this rabbit and another one (same species except white) for 4 years and a half. The white one died recently and we still have the brown one. My family and I are wondering what species is this brown one? Reason is we'd love to get the same species rabbit (another white) again because they are very cute and don't grow too big like other species.

Here it is: (his eyes aren't actually red, it's just the camera. His eyes are actually brownish)

4pesebl.jpg

522520w.jpg

4qitwko.jpg

in that case I would say he definatley has some Netherland Dwarf in him, he is gorgeous :D

Yep. I just searched Netherland Dwarf and they look so similar to mine. I checked Wikipedia and they said most Netherland Dwarfs are sold in stores for pets and are usually smaller than other species rabbits which basically describes my rabbit.

Thanks alot.

BTW my little sister got a new bunny a couple days ago and I know it's not a netherland dwarf. Could you tell me what species it is?

5zleluu.jpg

6bx632x.jpg

He's lovely! But are you happy about having him on a wire floor like that? It doesn't look very comfortable..his poor paws aren't designed for wire bottomed cages. If, however, you've just put him there for the photograph then I apologise for jumping the gun!:)

the white rabbit is a 'red eye white (REW)' but that isnt its breed, thats its colour. Dont know what breed it could be.. maybe a mixture of a few types. The brown one does look a bit nethie-ish as suggested. ;)

For the first I would say a Nethland Dwarf, maybe coloured Sable? (I'm not too sure with colours though)

The second looks like a mix breed to me, and the colour is indeed Red Eyed White (though that isn't the breed).
:)

And I agree, wire bottomed floors are not good for rabbits, could you put boards down maybe?

For the first I would say a Nethland Dwarf, maybe coloured Sable? (I'm not too sure with colours though)

The second looks like a mix breed to me, and the colour is indeed Red Eyed White (though that isn't the breed).
:)

And I agree, wire bottomed floors are not good for rabbits, could you put boards down maybe?

Hmmm. I just searched ''Sable'' on Google and It looked exactly like the brown one I have now. It could be either the Sable or Netherland Dwarf. At least I have two names now. I also had a white one (like I mentioned) that looked exactly like Brown one except his fur color.

I also looked for white sables on Google and couldn't find anything that matched my old white one. Maybe I have a brown Sable and a white netherland dwarf? But they looked exactly alike....

I'll have to head to a pet store and ask for either breed.

Oh sorry, I should have been more clear, the Variety (ie the colour) is Sable, but the Breed (Species) is Netherland Dwarf.

Hope that helps. :D

Yep that would be right. :)

Though, if you really want a Netherland Dwarf a petshop isn't your best option, a lot of the time rabbits are sold as the wrong breed from petshops. So, they might tell you it's a Nethland Dwarf, but you could end up with it growing huge!

If there are any rescues or shelters in your area you could ask them if they have any NDs, or, there may be a good breeder in your area that breeds NDs or could tell you of a breeder that does.
:D

Yes, the first pic is a Siamese Sable Netherland Dwarf. So you want a REW Netherland Dwarf.

Second pic is a cross of some sort - gonna be a fairly big rabbit, its got huge ears to grow into! ;)

Thanks a ton guys but I have one more question...

My sister got the new white rabbit I posted the picture of a couple days ago. Is it normal for him to be shaking and scared of us? Whenever I see him eating in the cage and I walk down by the cage, he stops eating and goes to the back of the cage and just sits there hiding in the corner for like 5 minutes until I leave. If I come back again later, same thing. Basically runs to the corner. My other rabbit doesn't do this at all but then again, I've only had this white one for 2 days.

Is this normal? How long does it take for pet rabbits to get used to you and not be scared? Or is this just a different case?

Thanks.

Thanks a ton guys but I have one more question...

My sister got the new white rabbit I posted the picture of a couple days ago. Is it normal for him to be shaking and scared of us? Whenever I see him eating in the cage and I walk down by the cage, he stops eating and goes to the back of the cage and just sits there hiding in the corner for like 5 minutes until I leave. If I come back again later, same thing. Basically runs to the corner. My other rabbit doesn't do this at all but then again, I've only had this white one for 2 days.

Is this normal? How long does it take for pet rabbits to get used to you and not be scared? Or is this just a different case?

Thanks.

I'd appreciate an answer to this! Thanks guys.

Where did you get the rabbit from? Do you know what it's living conditions were like before?

Some rabbits are very nervous in the beginning, while others are not.

The best way to get the bun used to you, is to leave the cage door opened, and get down to the bunny's level. Let him come to you, don't attempt to grab or pick him up. Let him sniff you and get used to the new smells and sounds of his new surroundings.

But don't rush things, let him come to you in his own time.

Back