• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

should I get another rabbit for mine?

Dustbunny

Warren Scout
I've got an 10 -11 mo old netherland dwarf male (neutered), and was wondering if I should get him a buddy... I take him out of his cage for several hours each day in our kitchen (nice and warm) but all he does is sit in a corner in a little box that I put there for him... he rarely comes out, and somtimes I think he would benefit from a little bunny love... I love him to bits, and he loves to snuggle, but do you think I should get another friend for him? I'm rarely gone, but because i'm the one that always takes him out of his cage and holds him, he's not always keen on others picking him up when i'm not there... also, what's the best way to make sure 2 rabbits are compatable? I don't want to bring his new nest-mate home and find them tearing each other apart for weeks after... :bunny:

thanks for your input!!!

I would get him a neutered female as a friend, age and size shouldn't really matter. I noticed that my Snoopy became a lot more active after he was neutered and got his girlfriend.
If you go to a rescue and find a girl for him, they quite often help you with the bonding and give you advice on how to "neutralise" your home before you bring the happy couple back.

I've found over the years that rabbits are far, far happier with a companion - a neutered male and speyed female being ideal. At least your bun is young and therefore will take to a new arrival more easily. I've also found that some rabbits fall instantly in love, some take a good few weeks/months to really bond, and some - for some reason we'll never understand - can't stand each other and it will just never work! So it's a gamble, but if you get a rabbit from a rescue place they will let you swap the new bun for a different one - I had to do this recently - the first pairing was a disaster - I had to send the female back, got another, much older female and this pairing is going well. When you first introduce them put them on neutral territory and put something like an upturned box for them to run around to get out of each other's way if they feel the need. Hope this helps. Karen.

Thanks guys... I'll need to think about it, but first: are there any shelters in the SW area of Nothern Ireland that even keep rabbits? We called the local shelter but they didn't take rabbits, so we ended getting ours from a pet shop :? . Any ideas?

Thanks guys... I'll need to think about it, but first: are there any shelters in the SW area of Nothern Ireland that even keep rabbits? We called the local shelter but they didn't take rabbits, so we ended getting ours from a pet shop :? . Any ideas?

Not trying to take any opportunities away from rescues at all - as I'd much rather you went to a rescue and saved a bunny :)

However if there aren't any rescues in Northern Ireland let me know, and I can put you in contact with the Northern Ireland rabbit club, they can put you in contact with breeders who may have retired rabbits looking for loving pet homes. Still better than you going back to a pet shop :)

Rabbits live in social groups so benefit from rabbit company.
I've had single rabbits in the past, but after seeing them in couples or groups I wouldn't choose to keep a singleton again.
If you can afford the additional cost of another rabbit (neutering for both, vaccinations, vet bills for emergencies, housing, feed etc.etc.), and you're prepared to look after another one then I'd say get your little man a bunny wife after you've had him neutered (if he's not already!)

Thanks all for your advice.. i am now trying to find a local shelter that keeps em, but if not, i'll have to go 2 my pet shop. It isn't that bad- good hay, warm cages, no sickness, no tiny little bunnies- but I would prefer to get a little girlfriend from someplace else... thanks everyone!!!

Back