• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

teeth spurs

jack-brandy

Young Bun
brandy went into the vets yesterday (not eating again) and this time they said she had spurs. read in the reference section that if they are young and get spurs it a birth defect she's gona be 2 in september is that young?
they both get 6-10 hours a day on the grass so cant see hows she's not useing her teeth enuff

A good diet unfortunately doesn't always prevent tooth problems - it seems very unfair that some people can feed their buns no hay and a cheap mix and have no problems, yet we can give 5 types of expensive hays, all sorts of veg and high fibre pellets specially shaped for dental wear and get all the problematic buns :roll: :lol:
Rabbits are often bred with 'cute' squished up faces which has affected the shape and alignment of their jaws, so lots of these breeds (Nethies, mini rexes, most of the lops, etc) get molar problems, though other breeds can get them too. A trauma or injury can also affect the position of the teeth and cause problems, and unfortuantely once they start often the bun changes the way it eats which can make the problem worse.
If you can encourage her to eat lots of hay when she's not on the grass this will help - hay like timothy hay is more abrasive than normal meadow hay so if you can afford to feed this regularly it will benefit her too. What kind of veg do you feed her? Some help with the teeth more than others - e.g. long carrot tops are better for wearing the teeth down than the solid part of carrot.

Anything they eat lots of is good but generally the longer thicker hay is better. I can't remember which is which, is Forage the short dried grass-like stuff?
www.thehayexperts.co.uk do a nice sample pack of their hays if you want to find out what your bun likes without spending a fortune. My buns that had molar problems got lots of timothy hay which really seemed to help :)

forage is longish flat bits. hopefully we can pick her back up today and a diet change will help. £250 to have her teeth done but its better than her being in pain

Wow, that's a lot :shock: I paid about £60 each for two of my buns to have their incisors removed and be neutered at the same time! Having their back teeth done under anaesthetic was a bit more expensive at £60 for that too, but £250 seems ridiculous - I paid that much for full leg and 'arm' x-rays for my 35kg German Shepherd :shock: I'd definately consider looking for a new vet if that's what they're charging! Infact, if you can find a vet experienced enough to do it without anaesthetic it'll usually set you back under £10!

Wow, that's a lot :shock: I paid about £60 each for two of my buns to have their incisors removed and be neutered at the same time! Having their back teeth done under anaesthetic was a bit more expensive at £60 for that too, but £250 seems ridiculous - I paid that much for full leg and 'arm' x-rays for my 35kg German Shepherd :shock: I'd definately consider looking for a new vet if that's what they're charging! Infact, if you can find a vet experienced enough to do it without anaesthetic it'll usually set you back under £10!

thats goood. she did have x-ray and stayed over nights and anaesthetic.
might question the bill.
thanks for the help

Ah, the extras probably racked up the cost a bit then. At least the x-rays would show if she had any root problems (which can go unseen but cause buns quite a bit of pain if they're overgrown).
Might be worth getting an itemised bill though as it still does sound quite high.

Bloomin heck! I pay £60 for a dental including anaesthetic, meds and after care. X-rays are uausally about £50.

I had a bun who needed one dental for molar spurs, we changed his diet to SS pellets, increased his fresh food and got him a better quality hay and ts now 7 months down the line and he hasnt yet needed another one.

As a rule veg and hay require more 'tooth action' and therefor provide better wear. Branches to chew are also helpful but be careful which ones you use.

got her back now payed £235. one of her molars is growing into her jaw. vet says to try different hay . but am thinkings its because of her breed

got her back now payed £235. one of her molars is growing into her jaw. vet says to try different hay . but am thinkings its because of her breed

My vet charges similar for x-rays and molar burring - they are extremely expensive. Don't feel you have to have an x-ray done every time though if the vet recommends it. It is useful to check the roots and positioning at the start, but to be honest they can do a good job without an x-ray. Would definitely not recommend molar burring not under GA, it is dangerous and very stressful for the rabbit, even if it seems cheap.

Naturally growing grass is best for wearing their teeth down, also Timothy hay but it's expensive. I feed mine normal hay and they get about 1-2 hrs a day on the grass (++ at weekends). b-m

Back