• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

New mummy needs some advice

Kylie541

Warren Veteran
On Friday I purchased a little 12 week old dwarf lop eared rabbit boy named Archie. I have decided due to the area we live that he won't be able to be housed outside so he is going to be a house rabbit with access to an outdoor run once the weather in better.

I brought him home on Friday and set up his cage and popped him in it and left him overnight. He ate lots of his food over night but I put no hay in. Saturday morning he went for his first jab at the vets and then when I came home I left him but he appeared to have stopped eating and wouldn't leave his little bed I made him. Yesterday he appeared to be brighter and I went to the shop and brought him a hay feeder. Last night he was hopping about my room and he has had a hop around the lounge for an hour today. I just have a few worries.

Firstly he isn't eating a lot of pellets (he is on Burgess dwarf and junior) but the vet gave me science selective to try and he took a pellet from my hand so should I feed him that instead?

How long do you give them to settle? Am I doing the right thing just giving him an hour at a time out until he is settled? How do you know whether he is comfy or not? he seems to snuggle in and doesn't seem to struggle once he is out of the cage.

I am also not sure what to do regarding fruit and veg is he to young? The vet told me to pop in and chat to the nurse this week which I will but if you can help it would be great.

Sorry for all the questions but I am so worried about him.

Firsly he should have unlimited access to hay all day and night. Some buns can be fussy about where they'll eat it from, often they prefer a fresh pile in their litter tray which you should top up/replace once or twice a day.
Baby bunnies should have unlimited pellets until about 6 months old too, though they don't have to be 'junior' ones - the Science Selective ones are fine too if he prefers them. You do have to be careful about changing the food though, I'd give him a little while to settle in from the move and then slowly change him over about 7-10 days. As long as he's eating hay and pooing OK, I wouldn't be extremely worried over him not eating loads of pellets, but if he stops eating altogether he'll need to be popped back to the vets.
I wouldn't introduce veg/fruit yet (infact I'm one of those who wouldn't really recommend feeding fruit at all - it's high in natural sugars and buns wouldn't eat much fruit in the wild at all really, herbs and weeds like parsley and dandelion are much better if you want to give a variety of fresh food) as baby buns have sensitive tummies. Once he's a bit older you can gradually introduce a new veg at a time - start with a little bit and slowly give a bit more as long as it doesn't upset his tum.
I'd also consider getting him neutered and getting him a friend :) Even if he's indoors he'll appreciate some company that speaks the same "language" and is the same size as him! But that's another topic and something you can take a little while to think about until he's old enough to be neutered

He can't have a friend simply because I don't have the room. He will spend lots of time out of his cage and already seems fine with the cats and dogs. There is always someone in the house so he should be fine.

I got him a little hay holder and he is eating lots of hay from it today (only got it yesterday) but the lady in the pet shop said he didn't need hay which I found strange really. She also said i should remove his nesting ball but he really loves it.

Rabbits definately need hay, it's essential for a healthy digestive system and to keep their teeth in good condition. Wild rabbits would eat grass all day but if he's going to be indoors or only have limited access to grass then hay is the dietary replacement for grass :)
It's a shame he can't have a friend, bonded bunnies really do love to snuggle and play with each other - if floor space is an issue then www.zooplus.co.uk do some nice tiered indoor cages :)
I don't think lone buns are necessarily unhappy though so if circumstances don't allow for company at all then he should be fine if there are plenty of people around, but there's nothing like the sight of two buns grooming each other or snoozing snuggled up :)
triosnuggled.jpg

Firsly he should have unlimited access to hay all day and night. Some buns can be fussy about where they'll eat it from, often they prefer a fresh pile in their litter tray which you should top up/replace once or twice a day.
Baby bunnies should have unlimited pellets until about 6 months old too, though they don't have to be 'junior' ones - the Science Selective ones are fine too if he prefers them. You do have to be careful about changing the food though, I'd give him a little while to settle in from the move and then slowly change him over about 7-10 days. As long as he's eating hay and pooing OK, I wouldn't be extremely worried over him not eating loads of pellets, but if he stops eating altogether he'll need to be popped back to the vets.
I wouldn't introduce veg/fruit yet (infact I'm one of those who wouldn't really recommend feeding fruit at all - it's high in natural sugars and buns wouldn't eat much fruit in the wild at all really, herbs and weeds like parsley and dandelion are much better if you want to give a variety of fresh food) as baby buns have sensitive tummies. Once he's a bit older you can gradually introduce a new veg at a time - start with a little bit and slowly give a bit more as long as it doesn't upset his tum.

Agree with all that advice but don't feel pressured to take on more rabbits than you can manage - they are expensive and a lot of work - if he's indoors with you he will be OK as a single bunny :)

Thank for the advice. I couldn't give Archie the same standard of care if I had two. He isn't cheap between food, litter, hay, bedding and toys so I couldn't afford another. I also own a minature schnauzer and a Maine Coon cat so it's food and toys x 3 and time would also be a factor. Archie will get lots of attention but I am a full time law student so it wouldn't be fair to take on another.

He came out again this afternoon and was climbing all over me so I think he is settling. He is also doing quite well with he litter tray 100% of wee wees and 98% of poo. Bless him. I have got him a run for when he has had his second jab so he can play out in the nice weather and well as a harness. :D

I am so in love already and I hope he is happy but it's difficult to know. One more thing is that one book I have said he could have stale or toasted bread another says not. What do you think?

One more thing is that one book I have said he could have stale or toasted bread another says not. What do you think?[/QUOTE]

I'd personally steer clear of anything that a rabbit wouldn't normally have access to.
The best advice I was ever given was lots and lots of hay (there's loads of different and lovely varieties to try), lots of access to fresh grass, a pellet feed (like Science Selective or Allen & Page) and fresh veg and fruit in moderation when old enough. I give the odd treat of sunflower seed/dried cranberries/pumpkin seeds/alfalfa, but only natural stuff.

I wouldn't eat white bread myself, so def. wouldn't give to my bunnies.

Someone posted info from an old rabbit care book (1970's I think) which said to feed them mashed potato of all things!!!

Last edited:
One more thing is that one book I have said he could have stale or toasted bread another says not. What do you think?

Bread of any type is best avoided for Bunnies. Bread is high in carbohydrates and these can cause serious digestive problems in Rabbits.
A Bun does best on a diet as near to that he would eat in the wild as possible. So lots of different hays,grass, veg etc is what will keep a Bun healthy

Janex :)

Ok thanks. I haven't given him any yet but he does have permanent access to hay and is at present on burgess dwarf and junior but I am hoping to move him to science select as he will take that from my hand.

Mine all love the science selective - I haven't tasted it but it must be good! Also contains a probiotic, so it's good for their digestion :)

Back