• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Outdoor Enclosure

AliBenMummy

Mama Doe
Hi there,

After loads of thought about what to do and looking at other peoples ideas, we have decided to build our own bunny enclosure.

Its going to be 5-6ft high and the floor area will be around 10x8 ft. We're making our own aviary panels and will be attaching them to pergola beams. We'll be putting the Lavendar Lodge into it, it will be roofed with plastic sheeting and the floor of the enclosure will be concrete for them to run around in. There will also be 2 ft of bricks at the bottom to stop draughts and the wood going rotten.

Is this enough shelter for them? It'll be in a corner of the garden so theres really only one side that would be subject to the elements. I don't want them to get too wet or draughty but don't want to have to put actual sides onto it like a shed.

What does everyone else do?

Thanks!

Gemma xx

We have a shed and run with a similar area to that. Your idea sounds like a good alternative. Hope the weather improves soon so you can build it :lol:

Mike

Thanks! This rain is terrible, although the buns are fine and dry in the garage at the moment! :D Thats why I'm a tad worried that they'll get a shock when I put them outside if its rainy and windy. They'll be able to go into the hutch for shelter and I'm hoping the bricks at the bottom will be enough to take the edge off...and the fact it'll have a roof.

We thought of the aviary idea because we've got a triangular area to use up and a shed is too rectangular. :shock: We did think about the shed / run or even a dog kennel with enclosed run type thing, but this seemed to be the best to use all the space we have. :D

Sounds good:thumb:

My friend has a similar thing for her guineapigs and she's fixed a blind up to cover the exposed side. Suitable material might be awning material or the stuff tent windows are made out of

Ebay do some strong clear tarpaulins that might be useful in the winter when it's lashing down - I'm getting some in ready for this coming winter as the buns like to go out in their enclosures, but I like to make sure they have shelter from the wind.
Yours should be OK with the 2ft of bricks as that'll cut out a lot of the wind - looking forward to seeing the end result!

Back