• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Snuffles

brigitte

Warren Scout
Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding snuffles. I have a minilop that has been treated for snuffles by my vet a couple of times with Chloramphenicol. This treatment seems to take care of the problem, but it keeps coming back. The first sign for Sweet Pea was wry neck and the treatment resolved the wry neck although she still has a slight head tilt. She is eating, drinking, weeing and pooing normally. Would a different medication such as baytril, etc., be a better treatment for the snuffles? She has white discharge coming from her nostrils, but other than that she is fine.

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Brigitte

I've had this problem with one bunny until my vet (specialized in rabbits and rodents) gave him a cocktail of erythromycin and tetracyclin to be taken 5 days, alongside with probiotics (I'm sorry for the names, but I think they're not the same in France and in the UK/US).

I also had to have him inhale a mix of fresh plants(mint, thyme, rosmary, lavender) in which I added essential oils (tea-tree, pine-tree, thyme, lavender, lemon) and boiling water. He had to breathe under a towel for 5 minutes twice a day, and we did that for a full month, and it worked wonders!
I hope I've been able to help.;)

My vet who specializes in rabbits and small animals treated a couple of my rabbits with Baytril. It worked well for a while but they developed a reaction to it. He then switched them to Sulfamethoxazole & Trimethoprim oral suspension and that worked. It was fun going to CVS pharmacy and watching the pharmacist fill a prescription for a rabbit. The other two were treated with Baytril and they had no reaction to it.

I noticed your from Indiana. I live in the northern part of the state close to Elkhart. If your in this area, the bun savy vet I go to is Dr. McNeal in Animal Care Clinic North in Elkhart. :D

Hi Banana Chip,

I live in Columbia City and am originally from the Niles, MI area. I take my buns to an excellent vet in Huntington - expensive but very rabbit savvy. I will let you know what she prescribes.

Small world, huh? lol

I may be wrong but dosnt head tilt result from EC, neurological problems and inner ear infections rather than Snuffles (infections of the respiratory tract)?

I may be wrong but dosnt head tilt result from EC, neurological problems and inner ear infections rather than Snuffles (infections of the respiratory tract)?

That's what I was thinking too.:?
My little nethie had snuffles and he had a 3 week course of baytril which was successful, although I gather he will now always be prone to snuffles.
Maybe you could suggest it may be EC related to your vet?

I hope your bun is better soon.

But the vet dosnt seem to have identified it as such? If antibiotics are not helping I would try Panacur as a back up.

Back