• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

White Bug

Kristy

Young Bun
Hi Guys

Wondering if any1 can help me.
Coco is still ively, eating and drinking lots and still likes a good cuddle.
He grooms himself all the time but when i was stroking him earlier i felt a scab on him. I then got my partner to look whilst i did too and we then saw a little white bug. only one though. I have felt all over his body and have felt no more scabs and looked through his hair but it is quite thick. I couldnt find this bug. What could this be? How do i get rid of it? I dont want it to lay eggs etc and then for more to appear and him get ill :(

Please help if you can

ta

xx

Hi, how big was it? how many legs (if any)? was it 'attached' to the bun or just sitting on the skin/fur surface?

anything like this:
tick.jpg

about 0.5-1cm in length...

Last edited:
Hi, how big was it? how many legs (if any)? was it 'attached' to the bun or just sitting on the skin/fur surface?

anything like this:
tick.jpg

about 0.5-1cm in length...

Hi,
It wasnt even a cm, it was really tiny. not sure how many legs as couldnt see any lol! just saw it move. i would say that it was just on the surface of coco's skin not like sucking to the skin as it moved, but then again i could be wrong :(
It was also pure white, like a really clean white.

It could be mites or lice of some sort [they can get them from hay :(], have a look through his fur and see if you can spot anymore.

And ACCKCKCKKCKK!! at the tick picture >_< yuck!!!!

You dont think it could me myxi do you???
he hasnt been injected against it yet :( he seems ok, nothing wrong
i will tak ehim to vets 2mw in case of nething and i had a look through his fur and couldnt see anything more just that one

Id agree with possibility of mites/lice. Myxi is an illness that causes swollen eyes, ears and genitalia i believe... dont worry its not an actual live bug like that. My simba has mites at the moment.. ive never seen anything move but he does have scabby patches and flaky white skin in some areas.. can you see anything like that?

Id agree with possibility of mites/lice. Myxi is an illness that causes swollen eyes, ears and genitalia i believe... dont worry its not an actual live bug like that. My simba has mites at the moment.. ive never seen anything move but he does have scabby patches and flaky white skin in some areas.. can you see anything like that?

Hi :wave:

Yeah there are a few small patches. How do i get rid of this? Does he need to be taken to the vets?

x

Yeah they usually give them an injection for mites.. i think its usually a course of 3 injections 2 weeks/10days apart ;)

Hi ive just seen the vet and he thinks that coco might have lice although he couldnt see anything. So i know have to give him spot on.

thanks for everyones advice and comments

xx

I'd get some proper treatment from your vet - I've used the spot on stuff for small animals before and it doesn't work!

Back