• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Suspicious behaviour of frogs

Bavarian Bunny

Wise Old Thumper
This morning our pond saw the monthly meeting of "Slugaholics Anonymous". That's at least what they claim it is. :? Don't they look like they are plotting some naughty plans???

froggies1.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I should warn you that it is illegal to post pictures of members meetings at Slugaholics Annon!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fantastic photo!!;)

The secret service have now sent in their man for frog surveillance:

toadpond.jpg

(Last weekend I counted 7 frogs and 2 toads in the pond. Mabe they are waiting to eat the baby froglets when they come out of the water. :( )

lol. i LOVE frogs hehee. we used to have loads in england. saw one in the garden the other day....

you have just publicised there where abouts, its like mi5 they are gonna be assasinated now..by birds. hehee

believe it or not for ages my nickname was frog cause i never used to be able to say r's. i always said "Fwog". hehe kinda lame i know.

x x

I just found some strange wiggly little thing in the pond. It is very small and I am not quite sure, but it could be a newt larva. As our newts were adopted from Janice's pond, it means she may have become grandma again! :lol:

I wish I had a digital camera with a macro lense.....sigh. :rolleyes:

Thanks. :D

I put the little larva in a big glass jar, with elodea and a piece of fish food. We have fish in the pond, who would be more than happy to eat the little thing. It does not look like an insect larva, it seems to have a spine. But it is only about 6 mms long right now. I also have a bigger observation tank with some tadpoles and almost froglets and water snails.
The other day I found a little water beetle in the pond, only about 5 mms long, but very fast moving. There's also a water boatman. I was thinking about putting aside a small part of the pond for damselfly larvae and other creatures that normally get eaten by fish. I could separate it with a plastic mesh or something similar.

I dream of the day when we have a garden full of willow trees and grass for the rabbits, Japanese maple for us to appreciate and 3 ponds, one for Koi, one for fantails and one for wildlife. 6 lottery numbers, that's all I need...

Neil

I have several Japanese maple trees, but none next to the pond. I have a few little ones that I would like to grow as bonsais, but I have to read a bit more about how to prune and plant them etc.. I also have a little ginko and a little swamp cypress.
We have lots of hazel in the garden, good for the bunnies and a paradies for squirrels. :rolleyes:

superb! the one on the rock really looks like he's chairing a meeting and the onthers are watching and listening intently :lol: brilliant

In the evening I often find at least one frog just outside our sliding doors. They pretend to sit there and catch insects that get attracted by the light, but I know that they are watching us.

After doing some internet research, I am quite convinced that the wiggly little thing is a baby newt. Has anyone here hand reared a baby newt before? :D

Yes, very tiny ones, and the other bits are probably tiny front legs. The frog or toad tadpoles (can't tell the difference, but I think I have both) get their back legs first, but newts seem to get the back legs later. I doubt that the little thing will survive, but if I put it back in the pond it will be eaten by the other wildlife there.
Now I really want to have a proper microscope and a macro lens for plant and animal closeups. I have an old Nikon with a macro lens, but that uses normal film, and that it soooooo outdated. :D

It's a long time ago but I do remember newts growing the other way round to frogs. Certainly sounds like a newt, good luck from here :D !

Neil

Back