• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

rabbits in the rain

do you let your bunnies out to play in the rain?

• yes

Votes: 24 43.6%
  • no

Votes: 14 25.5%
  • only in very light rain

Votes: 17 30.9%

• Total voters

touie

Wise Old Thumper
do you let your rabbits out to play in the rain or do you shut them up so they're nice and dry? I always let mine out, well the ones that like to go out anyway Twinkle and Sugarplum, one drop of rain and Caramel runs back to her hutch :lol:

I wouldnt,
only because i would be worried of what mess saffy would bring in!
Oh and shes a house rabbit so she doesnt go out anyways.

Mine can come and go as they please, so the numptys who like to sit in the worlds worst downpours can and the girls who are more concious of their fur styles can make a dash for it.

Mine don't like it anyway - they'll go for a wee then sit there looking miserable and confused while they get soaked - Maa's funny as she's always like a rocket out of her hutch in the morning - When it's raining she gets half way across the patio then puts the brakes on in mid-air like she's saying 'what the f.....!!! who made it wet?!!!' I'm sure she blames me, judging by the look on her face :lol:

:D :D :D Mine can choose, outside hutches with big runs attached and plastic cover over some of the runs. But they will usually stay in hutchs when its raining !! :lol: :lol: :lol:

My OH was complaining yesterday that the big blue tarps seem to be a permanent fixture over the hutch and runs. Should I uncover them and let them get wet :?

I think mine really only like to get wet if they're running around in the garden, they won't sit in their runs and get wet :roll: :lol:

Mine don't like it anyway - they'll go for a wee then sit there looking miserable and confused while they get soaked - Maa's funny as she's always like a rocket out of her hutch in the morning - When it's raining she gets half way across the patio then puts the brakes on in mid-air like she's saying 'what the f.....!!! who made it wet?!!!' I'm sure she blames me, judging by the look on her face :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: that made me laugh picturing that !

I gladly let mine play out in the rain - but they choose most times not to - although sometimes they do and get soaked.!
Today they have chosen not to go out - they are still asleep in my bed! having made me get up and because its sunday! , clean their hutch (which is outside)! Its a bunnys life I swear! :roll: :lol:

Yes, I think it's important to allow them to have the choice and be able to exibit natural behaviour. My two have a warm playhouse to retreat to if they want and I always make sure they're dry before they go tot bed.

I think it is quite individual depending on the rabbit. Inky loves the rain and will happily sit in it until he gets to be what he considers too wet. Smokey will have a quick run around in it but quickly goes in to watch it from inside. Neither of them like very heavy rain though.

mine have the choice but holly seems to like the rain where as basil is more concious about his fur :lol:
their runs are covered in really haevy rain but they don't seem to mind lol, i often put a bit of sawdust on the floor to absorb rai the gets through the covers :)

Mine have a choice. Their enclosure are 3/4 covered. Ruby will often sit out in light rain, Bobby tends not to. Salt and Pepper don't mind a bit of rain either, but will usually choose to be sheltered.

If it starts raining while they are playing in the garden they will come into the house. I cover the hutches and runs when its raining but leave a tiny bit uncovered and Buu will just sit in that bit getting wet :roll: :lol:

Mine have a hutch/run combo and the hutch is covered in tarp if its raining so its totally dry and snuggly in there but they still have access to their run so its their choice really although if its terrential rain i do worry about them and sometimes encourage them to go back in their hutch!:roll:

I used to mollycoddling my previous rabbits for fear of snuffles but I've gradually realised that it is better for them to have a choice. Also with british weather it means there less likely to go out, which isn't fair. Unless its very, very cold and theres a risk of them getting a chill I think its healthy for them to experience different environment conditions. I've let mine exercise in snow and they loved it! :D
I must admit there are times (like today, about 5 minutes ago to be honest) I let mine out and even though there is a wooden shelter I was hunting for some spare tarpalin (just in case?! :? ) all the while my rabbits are running in and out of the fine, misty kind of rain thoroughly enjoying themselves! :lol:

Of course they don't like very heavy rain and tend to run for shelter but I have watched them wait until its gone off and then run back out again!

My dog is a bigger wuss than my rabbit. Lulu will go out in any weather. but Ash scratches the door to go out and when you open it he just sitts there looking at you, as if to say
"What? you think i am going out in that weather? you must be kidding me" then he slouches off to his basket.also, if he has to go out for the toilet (in the rain) he walks a few meters then stops head and tail down, just getting wet:? . But he doesnt like wind, thunder or lightning either. Strangely though he loves snow... he's very weird.

My dog is the same. If its raining and shes inside the house, she won't go out or if shes desperate for a wee she'll run out, literally get just past the doorstep, wee, then run back in as quick as she can!!! :lol: If we are on a walk and it starts raining she'll turn and pull me home!!! :?

My two have had the choice as to go outside in the rain, but they hate getting their feet wet:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have a hutch/run combo, but if it's raining I always cover his run with tarp. It's hardly been off this last week:?

Back