• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spikes teeth ***update***

luvabun

Warren Veteran
Here's a pic of them taken 20 days after his last conscious burring. As you can see, they've grown back at a fair old rate. They've grown back fairly evenly this time so the Vet will have something to purchase on if he goes for removal of them a second time. I have major worries about him having a GA to have them removed as this Vet has treated a lot of the Oxford bunnies right from the start and told me that there's always a risk of losing a bun under Ga but the risk is greater in these buns as a lot of them had respiratory problems. :(
It's such a tough call, I couldn't bear it if I put my fluffmeister through that and lost him as a result :(

house005.jpg

Last edited:
Oooh Jill, poor little Spike!! I would have thought if they're able to burr his teeth evenly without GA then they could just carry on with it. GA is so scarey. Spikes so lucky to have found you to look after him x

aww thanks Romy... a light bulb went off in my head today as I was contemplating this... he's obviously survived a GA once.

The alternative is conscious dentals every 3/4 weeks... will discuss with the Vet

One of my mini lops had to have his front teeth burred every month. The vet advised removing them but I put it off as I hated the idea. Eventually I decided to have the op done and he was fine. He started eating as soon as I brought him home and have had no problems with him since. He eats his dried food and greens as before. It really was better for him than all those trips to the vets. I know it is a tough decision though. Good luck with your bun. Pam

I would opt for removal Jill, he is young and should cope with the GA, he is fit, healthy and on a good diet + it gives the vet chance to have a good look at his back teeth whilst under the GA;) :D

PS: Spikey babe says he wants his teeth back for the tooth fairy;) I am sure your pillow is his pillow too;) :lol: :lol: He also told me you are hogging the quilt too:lol: :lol:

Spike's going in to have his teeth removed for the second time on the 4th July.
Long discussions with the Vet ref the options and that's what we've agreed is the best for my boy.

I will be a basket case on that day :oops:

Back