• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

few questions??!!

Does your rabbit eat its own poo?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kristy

Young Bun
Hi:wave:

I have now bonded well with my coco. He likes cuddles and is now settled in well. I took him for his health check and he is really healthy. Thank god!! :D

He has started to lick me now when we cuddle - is this normal? lol! its cute but why does he do this? :?

Also Coco seems to eat his poo :no: and its disgusting :lol: why does he do this? Does your rabbit do this? is it normal? Is he hungry?

I have now bonded well with my coco. He likes cuddles and is now settled in well. I took him for his health check and he is really healthy. Thank god!! :D

He has started to lick me now when we cuddle - is this normal? lol! its cute but why does he do this? :?

Also Coco seems to eat his poo :no: and its disgusting :lol: why does he do this? Does your rabbit do this? is it normal? Is he hungry?

Hello Kristy :wave:

It sounds like Coco and you really have bonded, and that's great to hear :D I'm glad to hear he is healthy, I took Kitt and Jamie for their first vaccinations yesterday and the vet was happy with them :D

Kitt licks me too... I think they do it for a number of reasons. Sometimes I think it's for the 'salt' we humans have.... in this instance make sure you definately have a salt lick available to him, as this is important for them (P@H and other pet shops sell them). And, according to this book I have, licking is also a sign of affection... saying thanks. I like to think the latter, as Kitt has a salt wheel in her pen, lol.

All rabbits eat their own poo's... but not all of them. I am led to believe that they do this because the poo is very nutritious for them - so do not try and stop Coco doing this, as it's an important part of his diet. Thankfully they don't eat all of the poo's, lol. I think they have to be of a certain consistancy :roll: xx

It's normal, if they don't eat their soft poo it can sometimes indicate a problem. Not always pretty to look at but we love them anyway:)

100% normal for bun to eat poo its a special poo! it contains special stuff (if you have a book to refer to check that cause i cant spell it off hand or explain it properly)

Hope this help and glad to hear new bun and you are very happy!:p

Ive got to take Coco to get his vac's done too. Might do it this week, as i wasnt well enough to go back to work :( More time to spend with Coco though :D

Yeah i think i would rather like to think its the affection too :lol: but your probably right about the salt. I am a bit reluctant in buying treats, and stuff like salt licks etc and giving vegetables yet until i know his stomach can handle things. I dont want the same case as before :(
when he is settled on me cuddling him he likes to play with my thumb and finger licking and then not nipping but kinda - he reminds me like a puppy dog wanting to play :lol he likes me kissing him and nose rubs :D

I havent stopped him eating his poo but it got worrying after seeing him doing it alot lol! but i suppose what ever takes his fancy lol

Thats fantastic that you have bonded with Coco. I have had smudge now for nearly 4 weeks and at the start he just tended to do his own thing and went to my partner alot(think thats cos he had the week off work) so got a bit jealous. However now when i let Smudge out of his hutch he runs around my feet in cirles (apparently means hello and I love you) which makes me smile. He is also one who LOVES to lick, hands, face, feet. They do say its a sign of affection and if they do it when you are grooming them or stroking them they are trying to groom you back.(so my book says).

Glad that Coco is doing ok and healthy. Smudge had his first injection last week and vet informed us that he would be a bit silent and relaxed for 24-48 hours. WRONG he was as made as anything running around the front room and jumping off the sofa.

Smudge eats his own poo but only the soft ones, so there must be something in it. Not nice to see but is only natural.

Hope Coco shows you more signs of affection soon as its fantastic to see them communicate and show you they love you :)

Licking you is like him grooming you. He's saying he likes you lots.

Do a search on google about caecotrophs, these are the soft poos that all rabbits eat as they need to absorb the extra nutrition from it. Doing that search will give you lots of links and info to read up about them and why it's important they make and eat them. :)

Back