• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Claws need clipping

wick

New Kit
Hi
My rabbits claws need cutting,i went into PAH store and asked for a nail clipper,thay didnt sell them and said a normal nail cutter will do.
Is this ok to use?.....also how often should the claws need cutting?
Thanks for any help

I use a pair of normal nail clippers - I find them a bit more fiddly than the animal specific clippers but they do the job :)

I have nothing better to do with my weekend hehe :) [I'm scared to leave the house - trying to give up smoking and there are a whole load of cigarettes out there so I'm trying to distract myself!]

Oh forgot to mention bunny claws might need doing every 4-6 weeks or so depending on the bun really. Just make sure you don't cut too short so you avoid the quick [the pink blood vessel in the nails] :)

u say how often they may need doing. but how do u know if they do need doing?????????????????

i've never done my buns. their nails aren't exactly short, but they're not really visible unless i pull back they fur. how cud it be a problem for them?

I have heard that also using a flashlight behind the nail makes it easier to see the quick in dark nailed rabbits.. I am about to try this one soon as Crue's nails are getting a bit long and its always a pain to clip him.. they are very dark :shock:

I like the clippers that Elve posted - I have a similar pair... I find rabbit nail clipping fine, and a fairly quick, stress-free job... If the rabbits have access to a concrete run, they do wear down naturally - otherwise it is best to keep on top of them...
I normally keep the nails around half a cm from the quick.

I am new to Rabbits and have made the decision that i am going to get the vet to clip his nails ihope this is not considered lazy id just hate to hurt him! :oops:

I've been getting the vets to clip H & H's claws - they'v had it done half a dozen times now, so the costs adding up. We'v got our vet to order the clippers she uses & I'm picking them up next week - not just cuz of the cost but because Honey gets very very distressed at the vets & I don't think it's the claw clipping he doesnt like - it's just being at the vets. I'm hoping if we do it at home ourselves it'll b less traumatic - I hate seeing how upset he gets.

The clippers I'm getting have sort of a circle at the top that u put the claw in them squeeze the handles.

u say how often they may need doing. but how do u know if they do need doing?????????????????

i've never done my buns. their nails aren't exactly short, but they're not really visible unless i pull back they fur. how cud it be a problem for them?

For a short haired rabbit, they only need cutting when the nail grows longer than the fur on their feet - and they only need cutting back level with the fur, although Tia had quite long hair on her feet so I cut them a bit shorter than the fur. If you just nip them off to level with the fur you're not likely to cut the quick and make it bleed. My 5 girls have never needed their nails cut in 2 years, as they live on concrete, run on concrete, and are quite active. Benny has needed his cutting a few times though, so I guess his grow faster or he's lazier - He's so good though, just sits there and lets me do it :) I dread to think what Maa or the girls would do to me if I tried it - I'd have to take them to the vets! :shock:

Forgot to say yesterday - those clippers in my link are available from pet shops, and I'm sure at P@H with the cat and dog stuff :)

Back