• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

question for rescues

gizmo

Mama Doe
i was just wondering if you get a lot of rabbits that you have re-homed, brought back to you?
i work at a kennels and nearly half the dogs that get re-homed are brought back to us so just wanted to know if its the same problem with rabbits as it is with the dogs.

I don't have any light to shed on the subject, but that is too bad.. A pet is for life! People shouldn't adopt if they can't give them a home forever.. I understand that circumstances arise and homes are lost, but to adopt and bring back right after adopting? :cry:

Don't dogs generally go to a new home for a few week trial or something? To see if the dog and new owners are actually suitable for each other. We had to go back after two weeks to say if we still wanted our dog. If not they would have tried to match us with another. Perhaps this was as he was a 'problem' dog though?

Interesting question.
A Rescue on here has posted about their bunnies turning up in other rescues. This proves that the home check system is not failsafe........ would love to know what the answer is :cry:

I work at a rehoming centre.
What sort of adoption procedure do you have, as that is a very high return rate.

I was watching animal planet the other day and they had a rescue that talked about a system they'd put into use to help reduce their return rate. They had a three colour code system for very active dogs, moderate dogs and sit around type dogs. Before people saw the dogs they discussed what sort of dog was write for them and gave them a colour and then they could see which dogs they were potential matches for. I guess it stopped people picking a dog that was cute/had a sad story and thinking oh I'm sure we can fit it in when really they weren't a good match.

Tam

Our rabbit return rate is very low (2 in over 5 years). It's slightly higher for cats usually due to allergies, we don't rehome dogs. I would agree that is a very high return rate and I think it will make the dogs harder to rehome in the long run. Do you know why it's so high, how detailed is the pre adoption interview?

I was watching animal planet the other day and they had a rescue that talked about a system they'd put into use to help reduce their return rate. They had a three colour code system for very active dogs, moderate dogs and sit around type dogs. Before people saw the dogs they discussed what sort of dog was write for them and gave them a colour and then they could see which dogs they were potential matches for. I guess it stopped people picking a dog that was cute/had a sad story and thinking oh I'm sure we can fit it in when really they weren't a good match.

Tam

Thats a great idea! Could work with all pets.

all dogs that are rehomed have to have a home check before they go, and some even have a check up after a couple of weeks. Some of the dogs come back worse than when they went out. we had a GSD brought back a while ago and he was really skinny. they said that he had put on weight since he left (he was skinny before) and they were moving back to france and thats why they were bringing him back. it turned out that he had been living in a shed because the man was allergic to him. but some of the reasons they bring dogs back are just stupid.

Back