• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Albert panting and not eating - advice please?

Middy

Warren Scout
She and Midnight stayed at my parents' place while we were away. Albert (lop-eared bun) hasn't eaten anything all day.

She has been very active in the garden (she is a house bun) over the past few days but from this morning, she just lay there, wouldn't eat and although normally very shy of being touched, allowed my parents (and us, when we arrived) to pick her up.

We've just brought her home and she is panting and breathing quickly. I'm getting a bit worried as she hasn't eaten (that I've seen) all day. Normally, she is very hungry - she has been eating a lot over the past few days. She is now just sitting there breathing hard and fast.

Midnight is fine.

Any advice, please?

Many thanks

How long has she been spending out in the garden each day.

We have an indoor rabbit Smudge and when he is out in the garden if he eats too much grass or is in the sun too much then he gets like this.

Do you find a bit of drool along with the wet patch?
It sounds to me like classic overstressed bunny..
Bif gets like it everytime i take her to the vets..and is very quiet and passive or hunched up and depressed for hours afterwards..usually after a few hours shes fine again..or as fine as a bun with nervous problems can be!
Also is it possible its heat problems? buns get heatstroke very easily outsdie..

place some iced water bottles around her and put a fanonher..and if things are so bad shes fighting for breath ignore everything and seek the vet asap.buns die form resp failure in amater of minutes..

sounds to me though likeits poss heat exhaustion/heat stroke and severe stress..change of surroundings without you is enough to panic a bunny.

Also leave ehr inpeace with midnight..two buns together will encourage and soothe the other bun..usually!!
our old bun woozle once had heat stroke even tho he was a house bun..he was in th egardne and it wasnt too hot so we took him over to my mums across the road on his lead and harness and suddenly the sun appeared and the heat rose suddenly..we grabed him up and carrie dhim home..hhe hadnt been inthe heat long..but he was floppy panting and not with it..we tried the ice and fan and within a few minutes he had improved with his breathing but not the flopped out bun..we gave him ice to lick and we put the fan on him and in an hour or two he was sitting up waiting for his greens!! he was abit wobbly for the rest of the day but fine the next morning..

bertie came close indoors with the hot weather recently but hes a f renchie and his size didnt help!
please let us know what happens..fingers crossed.:wave:

Hi Nixxy83,

Albert has been in the garden, racing around, a fair bit. Do you think it's just exhaustion? She's a nervous rabbit but seems so inactive now.

She hopped around the garden earlier at my parents' place (today) and then went and lay down in a box. She's trembly now (she gets like that when scared).

How long does this behaviour last with Smudge?

We normally give Smudge a nice fresh cold drink and put a fan on him. It can last about an hour. If mouth is open do seek Vets advice. But as she is nervous put her in a calm place and just keep an eye on her.
Smudge returns to his normal self after an hour or so and then wants food.

Let me know how it goes.

Nixxy :D

Hi Jayney and Purplebumble,

Her mouth is closed but she does seem very stressed. She is a stress bunny. Midnight is grooming her at the mo, which is lovely. They are lying down together.

There isn't any drool. She is dry around the eyes and mouth.

The heat exhaustion theory could be right, actually. She is fluffy and where she and Midnight (a rex, so v short hair) normally live in the day is cooler than where they have been staying. Not as much shade as they are used to. And far more exercise on Albert's part...

I've opened the window and will leave them to it for a bit. If Albert is not eating in the morning, however, or looks worse tonight, I think I'll call the emergency vet.

I've put a bowl of cold water near Albert. She normally uses a bottle but that's across the other side of the room.

Will keep you posted - thanks, all.

If Albert has not eaten all day and is breathing fast that indicates PAIN.
I really think you need to get Albert to a Vet TODAY.
Good luck and please keep us posted

Janex

Hi Jane,

Just took her to the vet who said she has a lower resp tract infection. He gave her synulox. Must admit I am a bit concerned as she hasn't moved much since the injection. Still hasn't eaten. (We just got home.)

The vet was a locum. I'm not convinced he knows much about rabbits as he said they can go two to three days without food and water!! What about GI stasis?! Anyway, the nurse, who knew her stuff, said to take Albie back in tonight if she is not improved and they will re-admit her and feed her etc... They'll also keep Midnight with her.

Anyway, fingers crossed that the medication works. She has just moved and started to sniff around.

Thanks for your advice
x

Thanks, Nixxy.

She has still not moved much; she just shifts position slightly. Midnight is eating and stepping around her.

I called the vet and thank goodness a rabbit-savvy nurse took my call and said we should wait another hour and then, if no improvement, we should take her in as she may be in stasis. I cannot believe that the vet was so unconcerned about Albert having no water or food for more than 24 hours!

This nurse said we can't take Midnight in as they need to check that Albert is passing water and solids etc... Am hoping Albie will be OK. She loves going to Midnight for comfort, and we had trouble bonding them. She is such a nervous little bunny. Hopefully, though, Albert will pick up and we'll be able to bring her home tomorrow.

Last edited:
Oh goodness poor Albert :cry:
Did you go to Medivet?

I hope that Albert will improve overnight and well done for being persistent about getting her proper treatment. Just aswell you and the Vet Nurse know what you are doing as the Vet appears somewhat lacking in Bunny knowledge.....

Janex

:shock: oh my..i am so sorry to hear the trouble albies having..
mm jane i agree.the et sounded like a waste of space..tsk..willthey ver persuade vets to learn more bout buns..:evil:

good job youre a caring bunny owner who kept an eye then realsied it wasnt getting nay better..then took prompt action..well done.

keeping finers crossed for a speedy recovery and reuniting with midnight...

vibes for you to keep calm as poss..its not easy when the babies get ill..

Thanks everyone for all the vibes.

Jane, yes, we took Albert to Medivet. Haven't heard anything yet re how she is doing but I guess it's early.

I'm just pleased that she will be fed and re-hydrated, which will help her lots, no doubt. Poor little thing, I hope she is going to be OK :(

Midnight is not hungry this morning – she is healthy but she is missing her friend. They usually eat, sleep and do everything together.

Thanks everyone for all the vibes.

Jane, yes, we took Albert to Medivet. Haven't heard anything yet re how she is doing but I guess it's early.

I'm just pleased that she will be fed and re-hydrated, which will help her lots, no doubt. Poor little thing, I hope she is going to be OK :(

Midnight is not hungry this morning – she is healthy but she is missing her friend. They usually eat, sleep and do everything together.

Please let us know how Albert is when you hear from the Vet.

Janex

Back