• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New here, Need some help with a new litter

New Kit
Hi guys, im pretty desperate here.

My doe just had her 2nd litter this morning, a litter of 3, her last lot was only around 2 months ago. When I woke up this morning I see a baby lying on the floor outside of the nest freezing cold, so immediatley I put it straight inside with the others to get warm.

Im not sure how long this baby has been outside the nest on its own but its literally freezing!

Have had a busy day today so didn't really have much time to check up on them, but around 2 hours later when I got back home, I decided to check up on the baby to see if it was alright and warm, but theres no luck, its still as cold as anything, and only just breathing, not moving its feet or legs like its brothers / sisters and its so cold it's hard to believe its alive, the only thing that shows me this is that its little heart's still managing to beat.

My question to you guys is, what should I do to warm him/ her up?

Ive had a small blow heater on him/her for around 30 minutes now, constantly been checking on it, making sure she/he aint too hot, but its still freezing cold and nothing seems to be working.

Should I attempt to hand rear it? The mother doesn't seem to be interested when I show her her cold baby. Holding her in my hands doesn't seem to do much either.

Please help im not sure how much longer this baby has left!

TIA its much appreciated.

Mum rabbits won't sit on their babies to keep them warm, they don't act like dogs/cats.

If you can warm it up and put it at the bottom of the pile in the nest so it stays warm that's it's best chance. Mum will then feed it with the others when she visits later.

Hand rearing is very difficult so it's best chance is with mum.

Tam

Warm the little baby up, best way is to put it in your clothes or just sit quietly with it in your hands. Once it is warmed up it can be made to smell like the others by rubbing dirty litter on it and then placed back in the nest with the others. Ideally hold mum first and allow the baby to latch on before puttingit back in the nest.

Mum will normally not pay them much interest, they are usually only fed once a day and are left alone in between.

Back