• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Best flea treatment for buns!

Phill

Wise Old Thumper
HELP!!! a few months ago one of the buns had fleas, cat fleas i might add as the vet confirmed this. Any way at least half seem to have them now!!! there are two cats inparticular which will not stay away from the buns and i am certain that this is wherethey are coming from. I havn't found any fleas on the buns and i havn't found any other evidence other than massive flea bites all over my arms after picking the buns up so i know there there. I did treat all the buns about 6 weeks ago with powder, but obv this hasn';t worked, i have also tried bob martin stuff for small animals in the past but i don't like it all that much. Is there somehting on the market which is safe and effective for hte use of flea killing? Im itchy enough so i can't imagine what some of the buns must fell like :(

Xenex Ultra Spot On.....
Worked For Nemo .

We Get It From Vets ...about £12 For 6 Tubes . How Many Buns Itll Do Depends On Size .you Can Buy It Over The Counter ;)

Xenex Ultra Spot On.....
Worked For Nemo .

We Get It From Vets ...about £12 For 6 Tubes . How Many Buns Itll Do Depends On Size .you Can Buy It Over The Counter ;)

Thanks Angie! i Will poop to the vets in the morning, how im going to treat all the buns with only one pair of hands i don't know! My mum usually comes round and gives me a hand with this sort of thing but she is preparing ot go into hospital on Sunday so can't! a towel i think it will be

I use Advantage for cats, small dogs and rabbits. It doesn't cause redness like the Xenex can.

It is quite expensive, but you don't need to treat weekly like it says on the packet. I only treat once a month.

Amy

treat the buns and hide near the cage in wait for the cats.....then treat them too......it will probably cost less in the long run.

Forgot To Say We Also Bought Some Spray And Sprayed Out The Places He Had Access To . Otherwise Any Fleas That Have Hopped Off Just Hop Straight Back On ;)

And The Xenex Ultra For Rabbits Is Fatal To Cats:?

Forgot To Say We Also Bought Some Spray And Sprayed Out The Places He Had Access To . Otherwise Any Fleas That Have Hopped Off Just Hop Straight Back On ;)

And The Xenex Ultra For Rabbits Is Fatal To Cats:?

hmm i wonder if i would be better using something for both cats and rabbits then and trying to get near enough to the cats to do them, there not friendly cats by any means!

I use 'Revolution' once a month on all my rabbits and cat and it works great.
Revolution also protects against mites which is important because rabbits can get diseases from both fleas and mites. I decided to treat preventatively in the warm months, after I found out that Revolution is very safe and very effective, from Dana Kempels site and her forum a couple months ago. Its a newer product from Australia, but applied the same way as Advantage, & its supposed to be both safer and more effective. http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/furloss.html

I use 'Revolution' once a month on all my rabbits and cat and it works great.
Revolution also protects against mites which is important because rabbits can get diseases from both fleas and mites. I decided to treat preventatively in the warm months, after I found out that Revolution is very safe and very effective, from Dana Kempels site and her forum a couple months ago. Its a newer product from Australia, but applied the same way as Advantage, & its supposed to be both safer and more effective. http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/furloss.html

Thank you! I think my problem is going to be treating the cats, there not mine and there not very friendly! Our next door naigbours cat is lovely and he doesn't have fleas i think it's the two new cats to the naigbouhood as we've never had problems before

Back