• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Is it mites or just flaky skin associated with moult?

Rabbers

Mama Doe
One of my buns has dry flaky skin on the outside of her ears. She doesn't seem to be scratching, and there are no black flecks or anything. The flakes are quite big. There dosn't seem to have red skin - maybe a little pink, but that might eb because there's less fur there!!!
She is moulting at the mo and I think she may have had something similar about a year ago when i first got her. But i can't completely remember what it looked like then.

Should she go to the vets or is this just another flaky skin that a bit of aloe vera gel could sort out?

This does not sound at all like the mite infestations I have seen on my buns. They look almost like you have poured a small mound of sugar or something like that on them, although it would look like much smaller, softer creamy-ish grains. It also stands away from the skin a bit (if you understand what I mean - not very good at describing things). Mine have always got it right in the middle of there backs, just where its a bit too difficult for them to scratch or one always got it in the middle of his nose and ended up with a bald patch each time. Vet used sellotape to take a sample and then look under a microscope to diagnose.

If it's on the outside of the ear (upper part of the ear in lops)...the don't worry, it's totally normal.

Most of mine get this occasionally...I'm not sure why.

I wouldn't put anything on it, just in case it causes a reaction and makes things worse.

Your bunny would probably appreciate a good scratch in that area :lol:

Thanks everyone. we had a little cuddle and lovely groom and she seems very relaxed. I'll just leave her to get on with it then :D

Back