• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ignorant co-worker..

Laura416

Warren Scout
Another girl and I were discussing our rabbits and this woman started scoffing, saying she can't believe ppl have rabbits for pets! I've heard ppl say they're boring and other equally offensive comments, but to be incredulous about them as pets is downright ridiculous. I said they're in the pet stores and she laughed, "I've seen them there in cages, but I didn't know people have them as pets!" (ummm). I mentioned (to the 1st person I was speaking to) that Mimi's getting spayed and this lady was like, "Why?!?!?!" I explained everything very seriously, thinking maybe she'll learn something, and she just looked at me like I'm a total idiot! I'm so frustrated right now over this. I realize there are bigger things going on in the world but I listen to these people talk about their kids and whatnot constantly...jeez.

And I'm so lame w/ comebacks or even just reasonable answers (naturally her reaction to me felt like a slap in the face, I wasn't ready for anything like that); I wish I asked what's so funny about having a rabbit for a pet?? Of course I'd look totally bitter to say anything tomorrow, but...

God, I can only imagine the talk that will go on behind my back when I take time off for Mimi's surgery...

Unfortunately it's quite a common reaction. I think a lot of people as kids or in visiting pet shops have seen rabbits sitting doing nothing. Compared to a dog that asks for attention or a cat playing games that looks pretty boring.

Unfortunately for them they've never seen how fascinating and enjoyable a pet a rabbit can be if you interact with it and give it something to do. A rabbits only boring when it's bored!

Tam

I get equally appalled comments about the chinchillas, and even worse when I tell them not only do I have a rabbit as a beloved pet, but he runs around my house like a dog or cat would!

Some people just don't get it. I know there will be houseguests who say to me in shock, "Uhm, ma'am, there's a.. rabbit on recliner.."

"I know. It's Crue's chair."

*Insert shock here*

Some people will never get it.. thank goodness for sane people like all of us! :lol:

I have a b/f who originally had no time for many small animals. He has cats at home and has had dogs before. He couldn't understand me wanting to look after the piggie side of the rescue let alone fostering some of the rabbits, at least the piggies squeaked rabbits dont!

Over time he has mellowed, I think he started to realise that buns can be very responsive when I had a front toothless indoor bun called Sweet Pea who used to jump on his lap when he used to sit down to watch TV and demand nose rubs and to be groomed. Since then he has always quietly paid them attention.

One idea would be to invite someone from work around and let them see your bun in action a few times, that hopefully will change their view.

Where i work people are the same, and say things like 'they belong in a pie', i tend just to not talk about them. They also scrutinise my food as i am veggie, i dont know why they are so bothered by what i eat :? . Then theres my friend who takes the **** out of me because i use a forum called 'rabbits united'. My auntie and gran think that rabbits being kept indoors is disgusting and that they can make you ill and you can die, due to that news story a while ago about a man coming in contact with a wild bun and then dying :roll: :roll: . I just ignore all those comments, and concentrate on the people who are actually interested in my bunsters.

That for me is one of the GREATEST things about this forum.......you can come on here and say whatever you want to about your buns, and everyone else knows EXACTLY what you are talking about, no one thinks you're weird or eccentric or makes fun of you.......it's fantastic!!!!!:D :D

i've been really lucky with people's reactions. I say I have 8 million buns & they ask tonnes of questions (so i ramble on :lol: ).

i've had a really good response off guys I've seen too. I keep them uninvolved until it's serious though.

there's a couple of people who make the "rabbit pie" comment, but it honestly doesn't bother me. They only say it cos they think it's hilarious:roll: <yawn>

Some people are not worth telling your bun stories to, I've got to be honst though, I can be quite inconsiderate when people go on about their kids, so I shouldn't moan really :oops: :lol:

Everyone i know thinks im a bit of a looon when it comes to having 14 rabbits, i get comments like

'why on earth do you have so many?'
'i dont see the point in keeping rabbits...'
'rabbits bite, i dont like them'
'they all belong in a short crust pie' :evil:

i could go on...

in my 3-4 years of having rabbits only 1 person has said to me - i think thats brilliant what you do. JUST 1!!!!!!!!!!! :cry:

My ex's mum kept saying it was unhygenic having Audrey indoors :roll: (but never to me only behind my back.) Mind your own business :censored: It's not unhygenic as she's almost completely litter trained and it's not as though I let her walk all over where I'm preparing food or something!

Most people are totally uninterested in Audrey when they come over which I prefer really cos I don't like it when people try and touch her and neither does she, but it annoys me that people think she is boring- she's just as entertaining as Worm the cat!

Last edited:
Thanks for all these responses! It really is good to know I can come here & ppl "get it." I'd have lost my mind w/o this forum! haha

OH! How did I forget to add this: just the day before she brought in pics of her massively obese cat for me to "ooh and ahh" over. :roll: I DID.

I get it every day too. Mostly "pie" comments and "what colour do Rabbits United play in" etc. I just ignore it now and carry on talking about them, they're my kids so why shouldn't I?

I'd rather listen to stories about bunnies anyday! :D

Gemma xx

Again I think this is why this forum is so good - not just the advice etccc....
but you can just put up a random thread and talk about how much you love your rabbit.... :lol:
My work colleagues are all animal friendly and a few have had rabbits - so I am just known as the mad bunny lover one - but never in a bad way ... Apart from getting all the stew comments!! :roll: :? *So old*

Although I must admit I do often threaten Snowflake with the 'pot' and she just turns and looks at me as if to say whatever :lol: and carries on being naughty. :lol:

Rabbits are so much fun - I think they are just like dogs/cats without the barking

I thankfully haven't had any bad comments, other than from a neighbour who said they'd attract rats.:roll:

Personally I find cats and dogs more unhygenic to keep indoors than bunnies. Hannah is a smelly dog who rubs her face up furniture, farts, burps etc and cats walk around tables and worktops. Bunnies also don't have those big dirty meaty poos!:lol:

I was lucky in my last job as one of my bosses had two house rabbits, so they all thought I was super normal having buns. My collegue was complaining about being pregnant and giving birth and I said 'at least yu don't have to pull them out by your teeth (like guineas do) it made her feel a bit better lol

I had a similar experience with a nosy colleague from work... who, when I was talking about 'my babies' asked if I had children, when I told her I meant my rabbits she just scoffed, and asked why anyone would have them as pets. Hmmmm, I guess she's just unfortunate to not experience the happiness they bring

My bf wasn't too interested in bunnies before he met me, but now he finds them just as entertaining and lovely and helps me look after them. He still hasn't managed to make friends with Snoopy, though. He turns into a killer bunny when my bf reaches into the hutch. :lol:
My mother thought rabbits were boring, because we always had cats and she got quite attached to them. Now she has had my last surviving indoor bunny for several years and absolutely adores the little guy.
The only people who give me a bit of a weird look are some of the mothers at my boys' school, and the courier driver who delivers my hay parcels. :lol:

The only bad comments I get are that they should be outside. I just tell people they don't like it outside, although I'm small I can be quite domineering.

My buns tend to win the sceptics over lol, plus my parents are always telling people how they've nicked this or that or bullied the dog etc.

People at work were really interested in my rabbits, I took pictures in for them and mostly people are curious about them living indoors. They were all very sympathetic when Faline had to go to the vet, I was standing telling my manager and a couple turned round from serving and were like 'oh no your rabbits' :lol:

I got a lot more stick for having pet rats and degu. Imagine all the comments spider/snake owners must get!

Imagine how frustrating it is dealing with co-workers who have lost buns to foxes:( that's happened to two of my colleagues and both of them had hutches from pet shops so really didn't see any wrong in what they were doing :(
I tread a fine line in offering advice and being preachy

Back