• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Eeeeeek! Bleeding hock!

Rallybunny

Warren Veteran
Evo has just bitten a callous off his hock and bled everywhere!!! Loads of blood for a little bunny! :shock:

O/h has got him sat on a kitchen towel and the bleeding stopping, but is there anything we can do?? I think we have wound powder or small animal tea tree cream in the house.....is it worth putting either of these on his hock?? Also is there anything we can do to stop him nibbling it again??

Thanks!

Heavens, I'm sorry poor little Evo. I don't have experience of this but looking at my Rabbit First Aid Box, do you have any Tamodine? use a bit of that to clean the area. Do you have some Pet Wrap? Its a great self-adhering bandage tape for pets. Wrap a small amount of that on his hock if you can.

How is Evo??

Argh, I went to bed.....sorry. :oops: Left o/h with instructions to wake me up if he started bleeding again, and to stop him from grooming that foot. :lol:

He seems fine this morning, touch wood! Can hardly tell which foot it was, looking at him now. I will get some of the stuff you recommended for use in the future - he has been through a stage of doing this before, but never bled quite so much! :shock:

Do you think he might need a vet trip for baytril or something if it's been bleeding?

Hmm, I hadn't thought of that. I'll keep an eye on the paw in question for the next few days.....you can't even tell which one it was now though, the fur is covering it. I'll have to ask o/h if he remembers which one it was when he gets home from work. :oops:

I would strongly suggest you get some antibiotics, because I remember Jane giving a warning about how dangerous sore hocks can be if an infection starts up. I think it can actually infect the bone.

Back