• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Few questions.. answer please? xx

loobie_lou

Mama Doe
Hey all,

So sorry to keep these posts coming, but I really don't want my bunnies to go through what my last baby went through with mucoid enteritus, so I want to check everything out with you lot - as you're alot cheaper than vets, lol, and you're all a damn sight more helpful and supportive too :)

My first question is about their sleeping patterns. Are rabbits mainly nocturnal? From common observation I notice that my two are VERY lively from say 3am until about 7am every morning... then they go a little quieter until around lunchtime, in which one of them is only slightly livelier and Kitt, the naughty one, seems to have a childs 'mad hour' where she will dance, and run and cause mischeif. As they're house rabbits, and live in my bedroom, the 3am wakeup from them running back and forth in their living quarters isn't really appreciated - I have purchased some earplugs to see if this helps, lol, but is there anything else I can do? I don't want to move them rooms, as the spare room currently houses my hamsters and isn't very big for the pen they have.

The second question I have is regarding bonding. How do you know when a pair are bonded? My 2 get on great - I've never seem them fighting, they seem to egg each other on alot, especially when they're just out of the hutch... Kitt will come back in for Jamie, who is a lot shyer, and seem to entice her out of her hutch. I've also found that, since introducing Kitt to Jamie (the day after Jamie was purchased), Jamie is alot more confident and less shy - and seems to love being handled. They also groom each other. These 2 are definately girls, but I'm concerned about the bonding as they're a weeks difference in age, purchased one day apart and one is a dwarf lop and the other a mini lop.

I hope someone can clear this up for me, I really do appreciate it.

Lou xx

hi, rabbits are crepuscular (sp) meaning they are most active at dawn and dusk (which is why you get the early wakeup call!!).
My rabbits seem to sleep and dose for most of the day, then run around like idiots in the evening.

A pair have definitely bonded when they BOTH groom each other. When i paired my two up, Buffy was grooming Henry a few days before he started to groom her. I didnt let them spend the night together in the cage until they were both grooming. This is the sign of true love!! They will start off sitting with each other and spending their time together, but its when they groom that you know they are truly bonded.

No need to worry about bonding if your two are already living together and happy. Bonding at that age doesn't usually cause problems anyway as they don't have the hormones yet to stir things up :)

I think an extra rabbit often helps the confidence. In the wild rabbits would share look out duties so with two sets or ears/eyes on the job they can be more relaxed. Plus if one buns does something the other usually wants to be involved too ;)

Tam

yeah thats def true of my bunnies about them giving each other confidence. We had henry from a baby so he's really chilled out, but we got buffy when she was 8 months old as a rescue. she was always really skitty, and now she is so much better but is def better when henry is with her! She looks to him for support, bless her!

Back