• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Flooring advice!

Jenefina

Mama Doe
I've just got my handy boyfriend to build Pye a new house, it has an enclosed 'house' part with a wooden floor but the 'run' bit where he spends most of his time has no floor at all

pyes-house.jpg

this is a pic of him Investigating just after it was built, the house wasn't finished at this point!!

At the moment I have newspaper down but because of his age he is shredding and chewing it, especially if he doesn't get his own way!! I thought about a vinyl mat or lino but the Rabbit Welfare Society says it can cause sore hocks. He has a strange habit of licking the carpet when you're not watching him when he's out so I don't know wther to trust him with no floor as he may end up trying to eat the fibers. I'm sooo confused! can anyone offer any suggestions? He has litter trained himself by the way, woo!

mine have newspaper in their cage. When we used tolet them stay in the kitchen all day whilst i was out at work, they were on lino and they didnt get sore hocks, but prob cos they were on carpet when i did come home (i was out for 8 hours of the day!). Lino would be my choice and keep an eye on the hocks. Its better to keep a check on possibly sore hocks (easily treated - remove the lino!) than to have a dead bunny on your hands cos he's eaten the carpet and got an impaction.

Hiya,

Lino or vinyl is fine and great for mopping up accidents. Usually sore hocks are only a problem in rex breeds. Lino etc. can be slippy though so you can add carpet tiles or sample squares for a carpet shop or a rug over if you want - just watch he doesn't chew it ;)

Tam

Thanks guys, that's really put my mind at rest loads, I'm off to get some lino!!

He's going in for his neutering tomorrow so I'm also going to get a little fluffy cat bed for him to recover in! I'm a total nervous wreck about the whole thing!

I can recommend vet bed for a convalescing bun, very absorbant and keeps them snug. :D Good luck with the op today!

Maybe you can get a seagrass carpet offcut from your local carpet dealer? I think decent sized seagrass rugs are a bit expensive - even for the most spoiled buns! Obviously you'd need to check that it's natural and not bleached :)

I can recommend vet bed for a convalescing bun, very absorbant and keeps them snug. :D Good luck with the op today!

Thanks Maizy, He's booked in for tomorrow at 8:30, will be spoilt rotten tonight! I am expecting to be ignored and/or attacked for the next week or so in revenge!

I'll definately put some vet bed in his cage then to keep him extra snuggly, one of the vets who I buy the food from (not where he's registered) suggested bubble wrap inside some towels but I don't think I'd trust him with that!!

He's got a 'grassy mat' which he likes to eat and throw round his cage occassionaly, I did look at getting a bigger one for his whole cage but you're right ConfusedBunny they are very expensive!

Back