• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fate delivered Frank to us!

Hi, this is a follow on from our search fo a husbun for Betty.Two weeks ago we went to Pets at Home to buy fish food for my son's fish and saw a gorgeous grey and white bun in the adoption centre. He was reserved at the time and we had been really hoping since seeing him that he would go to a good home. I am against shops selling rabbits and other mammals but I was quite impressed with the adoption area they had set up. Frank was the victim of a broken marriage and had been handed in to the store. Anyway, to cut a long story short, we went back there on saturday to get some more fishy supplies ( they're costing me a fortune!) and I couldn't believe my eyes, Frank was still there! It was love at first sight and meant to be so we brought him home. he is perfect for Betty as he is very friendly and confident but also very gentle, just what she needs. They are not together yet as he is having his doodahs off today and will need a bit of recovery time! I am collecting him from the vets at 4pm and he is living temporarily in my daughters room while she is away on a school trip for a week. I will post a photo later. The staff at Pets at Home were really good and said that they had turned down several prospective owners. It's not an ideal place for a rabbit rescue but at least those bunnies will have a chance rather than being disposed of in some other way. The manager showed us a photo of a netherland dwarf who had been handed in last week, absolutely gorgeous but with teeth about an inch long! She had to have all her front teeth removed and is being cared for by staff. How could the owner have not noticed? I feel really guilty about the three male bunnies that Jill has as I was hoping to take one of them but I just couldn't leave Frank there.

Wow - sounds like a great branch of P@H :shock: :p

Frank sounds like he's your bunny alright! - it will take about 8 weeks for his sperm count to go down though, incase you weren't sure - hope his bits heal up soon :D

I'm not worried about him still being fertile for a while as Betty was spayed when we got her. I am more worried about his sore bits!

Hi Sue, really hope Frank is the ideal partner for Betty and cant wait to see photos of him. Which branch of P@H is it, the Leicester city centre one?? Its been a long while since I've been in, and didnt know they had an adoption centre there.:wave:

That is great news about Frank!:D I am so glad that he has a lovely new home.....and hope that Betty falls madly in love with her new husbun!!!!!:love:

awww that's a nice ending for Frank

Maybe the 'rescue' section of P@H will open up their eyes to the abuse that rabbits they and other petshops sell go through?

I hope you're right but the good thing is that the staff at the Leicester branch are very concerned for the welfare of the animals and told us that they often turn people down who want to buy an animal as they don't feel the person is sure of what they are taking on. One assistant also told us that they had some really small hutches come in but they kept them in the back and refused to sell them.They also have a ploicy of not selling rabbits in the winter unless the customer purchases a large indoor cage. The worst cases of animals for sale alongside tiny hutches tends to be in garden centres, we went to Ullesthorpe garden centre at the weekend and were appalled at the size of the cages they had for holding their 'stock' in. Also, the Rabbit Shack hutches on sale weren't big enough for a hamster let alone a rabbit! I stopped at Welland Feeds (an animal feed warehouse) in Market Harborough yesterday to lodge my opinion on the hutches that they have displayed outside. They are the smallest ones I've seen and they are selling them over the counter without knowing what people are intending to put in them. I made my point and then left, leaving the staff in stunned silence!

Back