• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Guinea pig problem?

elve

Banned
Or is it normal? :shock:

I bonded these two little girls last week (yes I bonded something! :D ) and they are very happy in their cage together, only problem being the shreiks of pain that Lulu (the peruvian) emmits occasionally as Tara is a very enthusiastic groomer! :shock: I thought only rabbits groomed like mad, but Tara is always washing Lulu's face and cleaning her ears out. Lulu sits there with her eyes shut and doesn't run away, so I guess she likes it? I'm just afraid Tara will chew her eyes off or something - should I worry? :?

In addition they have both stopped eating greens! Only brocolli and carrot are acceptable, and they leave their greens whereas before bonding they both ate loads :rolleyes:

smallfriends.jpg

Last edited:
I've never seen piggies grooming each other either but have heard of one washing a bunny's face before. Sorry not much help but they do look cute together :)

None of my pigs groom each other so can't help with that. I would say though that after I introduced a new female to my pair it took them quite a long while to settle down even after the initial bonding period and there was some quite odd noises and behaviour, so maybe things will just calm down in a week or so?

I love (and miss piggies)!

My guniea pig, Ewok, used to wash any rabbit's face he came across.

Girls take a while to settle down but if they have plenty of space, they should be OK.

My guinea pigs went through food fads quite a lot, they can be quite fussy.

My guinea pigs clean each others ears, but they dont shreak when they do it.. i used to think they were chewing them, but they werent. Is it definately a shreak?

im afraid i dnot know anything about piggies but could she be barbering (oops probably the wrong spelling) her? i think it is something to do with pulling the hair out or something that could cause her to squeal, has she got any heir loss? :oops:

Hi!!!!

Some of my piggies groom each other, in particular they seem to like cleaning eyes.

Some of them grumble all the time and some never make a single noise.

It is probably normal!

Good on you bonding! YAY!!!!!!!!!

Not sure about the food thing. Maybe they are just less bored now they have a friends so don't eat just anything that lands in front of them...

:D Thanks for all your replies - she definitely shrieks in pain, it's not barbering (I have another pair of girls that do that - Crystal sits calmly munching Beattie's hair and Beattie sits calmly letting her - mad!) and they're not fighting at all - very happy together. I guess Lulu is just a grumbler :p

Neither of them were ever mad on veg - Tara will not touch grass or dandelions or any fruit - I guess they are happy to find another freaky eater to keep them company :lol: I gave them greens today and one had a bite, so the other of course wanted a bite out of contrariness, then they both lost interest and went and ate hay together :roll: I guess they are happy and the dry mix has vit C in, so does the brocolli they like - they are mad for carrots but they're not good for them either :rolleyes:

Its thought peruvians and shelties have more sensitive skin due to their long hair pulling and its common they hate grooming (by the owner) . I know in my experience this has always been to be the case so I wonder if the other guinea pig is a bit too enthusiastic and hurting her by accident? :)

When I had longhaired pigs they hated grooming and screamed constantly even though I was as gentle as could be, so it's possibly her being mardy ;)

Its thought peruvians and shelties have more sensitive skin due to their long hair pulling and its common they hate grooming (by the owner) . I know in my experience this has always been to be the case so I wonder if the other guinea pig is a bit too enthusiastic and hurting her by accident? :)

Oh that's interesting - Beattie that gets barbered by Crystal (Tara's sister incidentally - must be a genetic obsession with grooming) is an alpaca and it doesn't seem to bother her - maybe Lulu is more delicate :?

Oh well - they seem happy together. Funny with Tara and Crystal though - they will be busily rootling in their pals ear and licking away importantly, then they catch my eye and look so embarassed :lol: Like they know pigs don't do that really - crazy girls :)

I never groom any of them except for hair cutting every 2 months, so I don't have that ordeal at least. :)

Back