• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Another question about dried grass vs hay...

Azraelm

Wise Old Thumper
Sorry.

I was asking the other day about excel forage (dried grass) and was I feeding too much cos people on here said it is high protein. Well I've just picked up my order of Excel herbage timothy hay and the nutritional values are not much different :?

Forage is 14% protein and 20% fibre
Herbage timothy hay (consists of 98% timothy and 2% dandelions and marigolds) is 12% protein and 24% fibre

So why does it matter when we're talking tiny % differences between hay and grass? :?

Last edited:
Don't know, bvut must be honest my buns eat herbage and supa foyage. Alsio mine all have a big bowl of readi grass for tehir breakfast, they would eat grass in the wild, so I feed loads of the stuff.

maybe I'll just stop worrying then :lol: Thing is Audrey would happily eat forage all day and it would be good for her teeth too!

I have to say i don't think it'd be huge problem. And mine love herbage, but they get that with meadow hay, redi grass, oat hay and real grass.

I saw some forage yesterday and it smelt gorgeous!! I'd def buy it when mine run out of redi grass.

I feed a lot of dried grass as my lot don't go outside. As far as I was aware you just have to be careful with rabbits who are in renal failure or who have problems with bladder sludge etc. :?

Louise

Mine eat alot of readigrass. They have it mixed in with their pellets and at night too, with their veggies. Its only dried grass nothing added etc. They also enjoy herbage :D

Thanks for posting this question. I have wondered this myself.

I also give redi grass along with their hay at night after they have been grazing all day. Grass all the way I think! :D

Sooo annoying, i brought a new bag of forage and Audrey won't eat it now :rolleyes: It looks much greener and smaller so must taste different aaagghhhhh.

They are annoying sometimes aren't they :roll: My delivery from the hayexperts has arrived today, lots of yummy hay. My rabbits don't much like readigrass either

Dried grass is usually higher in protein that hay, becasue it has been flash dried. Looking at the analysis of hay that I obtained from the Hay Experts, their hay is between 8 - 9.5% protein, which is quite a bit less that the dried grass. Some meadow hays - which is what I feed, will be less than that.

I think it depends on the rabbit, when I first got Alfred and he was quite thin (and also didn't eat hay), I gave him the dodson & horrell just grass, which he loved. The just grass is approx 2% less protein than readigrass, I also found it to be less dusty too, and even better it is slightly cheaper.

But once Alfred had put weight on, and was eating hay, I had to be careful how much of the just grass that he had as he would leave excess caecotrophs around his run, and now he just gets a handful mixed in his hay.

Hope that helps

Ax

Hi Mandy, if this is all Audrey will eat then dont stress about the protein level. As long as Audrey is eating some kind of hay then I just let her. Better to eat Forage than nothing at all:wave:

Back