• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help please....sisters rabbit poorly

Suzi Wong

Mama Doe
Basically she's not eating
we managed to syringe feed a tiny bit of C/C in her last night then she has done 4 teeny poos this morning, she has been like this since yesterday morning.

Tthe vet says she has got tooth spurs but cant do anything for her until tomorrow,
Do we continue to force feed until then or would you not recommend her having an anasthetic until she is eating properly.
By the way she is a 7 year old quite overweight bunny
Sorry for the jumbled up post I'm not thinking straight.

Sue.x.

I think its ESSENTIAL she gets food into her as being over-weight will put her a high risk of anorexia induced hepatic lipidosis. Basically fat deposits are quickly set down in the liver and the liver consequently fails.

Has the Vet given pain relief and gut motility stimulant? If the spurs are scratching Bun's cheeks/tongue she will be in discomfort. It is also essential to keep her well hydrated so if she is not drinking she needs subcutaneous or intravenous fluids.

Not wishing to frighten you but an elderly overweight Bun really cannot go without food for more than a few hours, hepatic lipidosis occurs far more quickly in overweight buns. I would advise your Sis to contact the Vet again and at least request INJECTIONS of Metoclopromide and a NSAID pain killer

Janex

Is there another vet you can try? My vet has fitted Evo in for a dental at 3 in the afternoon before now, rather than wait until the next day. If not, I would recommend what Jane said, at least get a pain killer and gut stimulant and keep up the syringe feeding until bun is sorted.

* Vibes for your sister's bun. *

Just got back from sis house
We gave metacam last night and Metaclopromide.
Today I have managed to get her eating dandelion leaves and a bit of hay and she has done some squishy poos, she is drinking now and will run around. I did hint for sis to take her to my vets because I think they would have got her in sooner rather than later but don't think she wants to because it is a long way away
Why is it that she will eat dandi leaves but shuns everything else:roll:

Thanks for your replies:p It's so nice to talk to someone when you're tearing your hair out;)

I can't cope with poorly bunnies:cry:

Back