• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

urine worry

gill shirlaw

Warren Scout
When i went into my buns shed this morning to check on them and give them their morning pellets i got really worries as it looked like there was blood marks on the lino of the shed floor and in the litter tray the urine looked like it was a blood colour and i panicked.

I checked each bun over carefully wondering if theyd been fighting or if one had cut a paw or something or my wee doe that was neutered about a month ago i thought maybe her wound had opened up but no there was nothing on either bun not a mark. Both of them are eating and pooing normally and both seem fine in themselves running around the garden and run like normal but the colour was strange and the marks on the lino, maybe they had been in their litter tray and then walked on the lino but that wouldnt account for the urine in the tray.

Lately they have been getting longer in the garden and have been trying to eat some of the plants until i have put wire mesh around them to stop them or try to could this be what is making their wee an odd colour. Can wee be that kind of colour a really dark orange or what looked like red when soaked in the newspaper im really not sure and confused.

Anyones advice would be greatfully appreciated.

kind regards
gill

Cystitis can cause blood in the urine, which can be very hard to tell from normal orange/red wee.

If in doubt, your vet will have dipsticks which change colour if it IS blood.

thanks everyone, i hadnt thought of cystisus, what would give a rabbit that, would it be something hed eaten i.e plants in the garden?

Do you think i should take them to the vets even though they seem okay in themselves, i would hate to miss something. If it was cystisus would they appear unwell at all?

Thanks kirsty for replying and yes i did check their bellies out and they seemed fine.

Hi chloaster i have fed them carrots for some time sparingly of course and can honestly say have never seen their urine like that!

I will keep checking for the next couple of days and not feed carrots and see if its still the same and if it is i think a visit to the vets just to make sure eh?

thanks guys for your advice any more appreciated if you can think of anything.
cheers
gill

I think dandelions are another culprit which they may have found in the garden.. depending how good you are at weeding ;)

Hi tamsin

I thought dandelions and leaves were okay for buns ive heard alot of people on here give them for treats ect and they love them. I have been in a habit of picking dandelions and leaves when out walking and giving them should they not get them - anyone now im worries

cheers

Yep, dandelions are fine, they can just make their urine funny colours it doesn't do them any harm :) Mine love dandelions too :) Sorry, I didn't mean to worry you :oops:

Oh thanks so much tamsin and dont worry i just thought oh no ive given them a few lately and thought i may have harmed them but you have given me great advice as i have been doing that and now know that the urine is okay which is a load off.

thanks again

Back