• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit Birth--please Help--dont Know What To Do

Mini Rex

Young Bun
i just came home and my mini rex finally had her babies, i dont know how many there are but i can see at least one little body but its not moving! is it dead? it looks like there might be another one behind the mother but i cant tell. i dont know what to do i was told if i touch any of them the mother will kill them, i dont know what to do!! i have to leave now to pick up my daughter from school!

Distract Mum with a treat, then rub your hand in the dirt corner to ger her scent on you and pick up and live babies and put them in the nest. If they're cold and not moving they're dead. You can try reviving by warming them up in your bra but as your post is quite old they're probably dead by now.

Once they're back in the nest leave well alone, rabbit don't appreciate people nterfering with nests of babies.

she had three total, two are dead, should i leave the third one in there or take it out and try make sure it lives?

Leave it in there. Hand rearing at that age is virtually impossible. The rabbits best chance is with mum. If the babies in the nest, leave it alone and make sure mum isn't disturbed. If it's not in the nest, rub your hand in the dirty bedding to mask your smell and quickly pop it in the nest. You can have another quick check in 24hrs - if the mums been feeding the baby you'll then be able to see a nice fat tummy.

Tam

but the mother isnt trying to keep it warm, i think one of them died from being too chilled, isnt there anything i can do?

The mother won't spend any time with them other than about 5 minutes a day to feed them. They don't sit on the nest like birds/many other mammals.

The baby should stay snug and warm rapped up in the nest in his mums fur.

What's the weather like? Is it really cold. If so I guess you could tuck a hot water bottle under one corner of the hutch/behind it but the baby must be able to get away otherwise you'll over heat it. Put the water bottle on the outside so the mum can't chew it.

Tam

he is sitting in the nest but the nest is pretty open and he isnt wrapped up in anything. he is cold to the touch and im panicking, im taking him out to warm him up, he will for sure die soon this way.

okay, i took him out and warmed him up and fed him some kitten replacement milk, then i put him back but i will keep checking on him to make sure he doesnt get cold again and in the morning to make sure hes been fed.

eta: ive read sooooooo much conflicting info on forums and web sites, im just trying to use my best judgement from all of it.

In the wild rabbits dig a separate burrow in which to have their babies, they visit once a day to feed them, usually in the middle of the night. They then cover up the hole to the burrow in earth and leave again for 24 hours. If you are concerned that it is cold, a snugglesafe placed under the nest can sometimes help.

Rabbits do not sit on their nest like birds do, they will be off feeding and exploring to ensure that they recover quickly.

i know, im not expecting her to sit on the nest but it was cold to the touch, i know it should not be cold. i dont know what a snugglesafe is. its been hours since i put him back in the nest and he is still warm now so i think ive helped. im not going to check on him throughout the night because i think maybe if i keep popping in she wont feed him? but i will check on him in the morning.

i know, im not expecting her to sit on the nest but it was cold to the touch, i know it should not be cold. i dont know what a snugglesafe is. its been hours since i put him back in the nest and he is still warm now so i think ive helped. im not going to check on him throughout the night because i think maybe if i keep popping in she wont feed him? but i will check on him in the morning.

A snugglesafe is the equivilient of a hot water bottle. It is a gel disc which is heated up by microwaving it.

its 6 am, i just checked on the baby that was alive last night, and he is still alive and warm with a full belly!!!!

i have been popping in to pet the mother, she seems to appreciate the attention, is this okay or is it considered disturbing her? and is it okay to let her out for a bit? she always likes to be out of her cage and she wants out now.

I've never had a rabbit with babies so I don't know but I have read about people on here letting their rabbit out for some exercise away from the baby, but I'm not sure how old the baby was.

My doe had babies last year and we let the mum out daily for a hop round without any problems. They only feed their babies once or twice a day anyway.

We also stroked her but let the babies mainly alone. We just checked on the babies to make sure they were alive and in the nest so they were kept warm. When we needed to handle them (we did that as little as possible the first 3weeks) we always stroke the mum first to get her scent on our hands before checking the babies.

At 3 weeks of age you can start handling the baby so she or he will get used to you, they are then really easy to hold and handle. It is also a good idea to spay the mum in ~2 months time especially if the baby is a boy so you wont get more babies and does are also prone to cancer in the womb.

Good luck Grandma!

i let her out for some exercise but i think it may have been too soon, cause after about 15 minutes she started leaving blood spots behind her so i put her back in her cage. i think ill skip tomorrow and let her out again the next day.

when crystal had babies i hadher free range in my room she used to lie under my bed and look at the nest at a distance. i hope this little one lives sounds like mum is looking after him. sorry to hear about the other two :(

Back