• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

6.1kg !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
Is what Libby now weighs. She is not a year old yet and I am told she still has some growing to do :shock:

Picture583.jpg

Can that be true....................................??????????????? :? :?

:shock:

Janex

BLIMEY!!!! What breed is she Jane a flemish (sorry i forget)

Eva my New zealand Weighs in at just over 6.2kg now and she is fully grown!

I dont know Phill :? Some people tell me she's a Flemish, others say she's a Conti :?

Anyone like to add their opinion?

Janex

I dont know Phill :? Some people tell me she's a Flemish, others say she's a Conti :?

Janex

Conti or British Giant, Flemish only come in Steel or Black (unstandardised). However alot of pet breeders who don't really know what they're doing call any giant a Flemish because its the oldest Giant breed. As for how to tell the difference betwene a Conti and British Giant - no idea! Sorry! (Really must find out one of these days! :roll: )

Anyway, Sues site has a page with all the Giant breed standards and some photos on:

http://www.giantrabbitrescue.co.uk/4609.html

As you can see from the standards they get more points for the more they weigh, the most points is 10, which they get for being over 6.8kg - so yes shes still got growing to do!! :lol:

:shock: Wish I hadn't read the 'show standards', so many buns must get culled because they don't reach them!:cry: And the more they weigh the more points!:evil: If breeders focus on weight, theres bound to be more health problems surely?:cry:

:shock: Wish I hadn't read the 'show standards', so many buns must get culled because they don't reach them!:cry: And the more they weigh the more points!:evil: If breeders focus on weight, theres bound to be more health problems surely?:cry:

Only with a bad breeder. If you read the faults on the standard it says bagginess and excessive fat is a fault - so the rabbits have to be fit, not fat. If they're fat they'll have lost any points they've gained by hitting the weight boundary on the fact that they are fat and out of condition. Besides remember that muscle weighs more than fat.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought giants always had an increased chance of heart problems along with other things, so surely the encouraging of breeding bigger rabbits just for the sake of more points will increase the risk of health problems?

Does anyone know what age giant breeds stop growing then? Matilda is a year old and she weighs 9.25kg :shock: Jane - I would have thought if she was a british or a conti she would still put a bit of weight on yet.

wot a gorgeous bunster!!

sorry if im thick jane..but it looks like theres a bit of frenchie in there especially around the eyes. perhaps a frenchie conti cross? whatever what a stunner!!

willows only 6 months old and shes roughly 4kg maybe more now as shes g rown huge in the last week!! bertie was 7kg but thanks to the change to allen and page from science selective hes lost a fair bit and petras really pleased with him..shame bif is still the same weight!!

frenchies contis and other big breeds to tend to suffer heart probs and arthrirtis more than alittle bun as they have the extra weight to carry..and their hearts the same size as a regular sized bun or so i was told by jo!! If thiese big buns get seriously overweight then they do suffer a lot..
why breed them if its what hapens to them? because there is demand for a big bunny whose got a tempermant like a labrador and fills the settee..and is so laid back its unreal..
sadly their health can suffer but then gain so do rexes esp mini rexes..lops and dwarfs/minins have dental probs and eye probs and personality problems due to lops not hearing right..rews having eye sight probs due to the light..the list goes on and on...

jane..more pics please!!:wave:

do giants grow similar to frenchies? they get to their adult size by the time theyre 12 month sold..but their skulls and muscles and the filling out bit takes up to 18months!!

yup id be thinking omg not grown yet then!!:lol:

our british giant twins are 12 months old and only now starting to fill out, if there dad is anything to go buy they will be huge.

Not going to weigh them though as i like the skin to stay on my arms.

Janex

I wouldn't like to meet her in a bad mood on a dark night :shock:

Or is that not the kind of opinion you were after? :p

Back