• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Honey as an abscess

holder

Alpha Buck
Honey had her VHD injection last week at the vets & i know she would not be to good after it as last year she was poorly & it took at least 3 days for her to get over it, so i thought she was under the weather because of the VHD injection but on checking her today i saw an other abscess on her hock, i just wonder how much more she can take, i check her every day to see if it as come back as she as suffered with the same thing since she come to me a year & 4 months ago.
The vet as tried everything she can possibly do for her, & the last result as been the penicillin injections which have worked.
It as been about 6 weeks again since it last come up on her hock but as left a scab which as been fine but i ask the vet to look at her hocks last week when she had her VHD injection as one of her hock looked a bit red & the vet said it was fine, but tonight when i checked her, the white puss as come back & it as swollen up & is very red. Honey is eating but not like she usually does & is hidding away & has not bothered with me at all, this as reduced me to tears tonight as i look at her & i want to make it all better for her but i can't. I really do wonder just how much more she can take, she is so strong & a fighter but when i see her like this, it kills me.
I'm sorry to go on but when i tell anyone else about her, i get "well she will be ok if not you can get an other rabbit", i feel like shouting at them but i just look and think Thank god you don't have a rabbit.
I ask myself Why :(

I expect the VHD Vaccine put a bit too much strain on her immune system so the infection was able to take hold again.
Maybe your Vet will suggest putting Honey back onto Penicillin injections for a while plus some Metacam to control the pain and inflammation. Hopefully another course of treatment will bring about an improvement.
It is so very distressing to see a Bunny with a problem that keeps coming back :cry:

Janex

Thank you Jane i am taking her to the vets in the morning as i will ask them to put her back on the injections, it just so heart breaking to see her suffering & it is breaking my heart seeing her like this.
God willing she will come though this again.

Aww - I hope she's OK soon - I agree with Jane and would skip the vaccs till she's totally well.

well i got Honey to the vets for 8.30 & the vet put her straight on the Penicillin injections & give her an pain injection, so now its back to every other day for the penicillin injections again & pain killer every day while she needs it.
Honey had already had the Mixy injection & i waited 3 weeks after for the VHD which i was worried about her having because of last time.
I don't think i will let her have the VHD next year as the vet said she can get away with that one as she is a house rabbit, i don't want her to suffer again the way she as with VHD.
Honey as just been hidding away from me since she come back home, i wish i could make her better without all the injections, even the vet said she is like a pin cusion bless her.
Thanks for letting me moan to you all, but i will stop now as i know she will be fine now, & i feel so much better knowing she is going to be well soon :D

Back