• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

sad story *Rats*

Sas-Jd

Young Bun
this is whats happened to me yesterday and today i feel really bad....

Well our poor doe rat Ghost got pregnant some how and we didn't know. she was in with her other 6 friends and yesterday she had babies because she had them in that cage the other had eaten or torn 6 apart. 4 was alive but 1 with black belly and ghost was depressed the poor girl. we got mum and babies out to a birthing type cage. about 3 hours later one died of internal bleeding had a black belly i have a picture but people may not want to see. then we seen ghost looked to have problems feeding we tried helping and i phoned Cynthia was told maybe a foster mum maybe an idea so got someones number just incase they needed a foster mum. anyway they looked to be thriving and suckleing but in the morning two had died she had rejected them some way threw the night. one was alive but rejected. was trying to get hold of the lady to foster he/she but no answer. i got hot water bottle a carry cage and kept it warm and went to get milk. when i came back he/she was dead.

This has shocked me to death.

R.I.P babies! So sorry i couldn't help you.

Here is a picture i quickly got when i was moving them into the other cage...

Photo-0058-1.jpg

No one can believe how bad i feel right now. i didn't know she was pregnant she was a fat rat. i really wish i could of had her out of the cage before birth maybe things would of gone ok.

Last edited:
they look really small in the picture and have really long tails :shock: :shock:

im so sorry to hear this R.I.P little ones must have been really hard/heartbreaking for you.

didnt read your post properly thought you were talking about your bun having babies not your rat no wonder they have long tails :oops:

i must say this is not your fault you did what you could for these little babes and the fact you didnt know she was pregnant meant you werent prepared :cry:

So sorry to hear about this, what a shame. If Ghost was somehow got pregnant and you didnt know of it could her friends also be pregnant too?

Thanks just wish i knew mum wasn't producing milk earlier then they would of gone to foster mum also she rejeted them also can mean the babies had something else wrong with them.

Her friends shouldn't be pregnant we think its when my mum had ghost out and i cam down with a boy and left him on sofa with ghost without me knowing she was there but we don't know thats the only thing i can think of. the boys are in my room not down stairs with these females.

Back