• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Maggpies!

k.mdaniels

Alpha Buck
Today I put my bunnies in the pen for a run about, the pen doesnt have a roof on it but other than that it issecure. I left them for about two minutes and I suddenly had a thought that I'd better check on them. When I looked out the window I saw a maggpie sitting in their pen. The rabbits were lying in there tunnel, I dont know if they didnt notice the maggpie or if they werent bothered but I ran straight out and chased it away. I immediatley put a net cover over the pen.
The Maggpie was standing a foot away from them. Would a maggpie try anything or are they just tormentors?

I think a magpie could do damage - at the least it will frighten them trying. I hate magpies after I saw one obviously hunting for a baby bird I'd rescued last month - they will eat chicks :(

Not sure about magpies but a cat/fox/larger bird could certainly harm the rabbits. I would never leave them unsupervised in a pen without a lid.

Ive never seen magpies attack wild bunnies or garden bunnies and I see them together most days! They are complete opportunists and are probably interested in the food in the run or anything that looks interesting like toys and stuff. Maybe just feed them grass and veggies in the run to reduce the risk of magpies scaring the buns if they go after their food :)

They eat carrion but ive never heard of them taking a live mammal.

I don't think a magpie would be big and strong enough to kill anything but a very small breed or kitten and, as has been said before i don't think they'd try but defiantly keep and secure the wire on top because crows can and sometimes do kill and eat rabbits. Also, you can't be sure a fox, cat or stray dog won't turn up.

The magpies in my garden are interested in my bunnies, too. I am sure they could pick out their eyes. And I agree with the others, always put a lid on your pen if you are not sitting next to it.

I had a problem with a pair of magpies a while back. They kept chasing Buttons up and down his run actually trying to get it's beak in the run by the time i ran outside buttons was in his hucth and the magpie thrn tried his luck with casper a much smaller rabbit than Buttons. Thought they where gone, next day they where after my guinea pigs trying to peck inside, one of my piggies chased them away but it came back for Casper again so i whacked it with a brush needless to say i've had no problems since.;)

I would always keep them coverd cos they will try to peck them if they can and also cats can get in to, better be safe than sorry. My runs are completley secure but didn't stop them from trying to get them, can only imagine what they would have done if i left them with out wire on top for there safety.:)

Back