• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits scrambling from hands

wick

New Kit
Hi
im having some trouble letting go of my rabbits.
The thing is,i can pick them up ok,i slip one hand under the chest and use the other to support the hindquarters.
The problem is when the are being put back in the hutch or on the ground.....thay know and really start to scramble and some times jump from hands and i end up sometimes badly scratched or worse i fear the rabbit will do some harm to itself.
I have been holding the back legs together tight to stop it from jumping free,but im not sure this is the right way to go.
ANY help would be great.....
THANKS

Not sure I would hold the back legs but someone else should be able to help with that :D My Scarlett is a little jumper when I am holding her so I just keep her really tight and get on my knees in the run and let her jump down :D

Personally I would keep the bun held close to your chest and then bend your knees to the ground to safely pop him/her into the hutch or on the ground. That way if he/she manages to scrabble free and jump from your hands its only a little a jump not a big one that could cause damage. Also a good tip is to put your hand/fingers over your bun's eyes as you kneel down as this helps to stop them fretting so much. Please don't hold your bunny's rear legs like that tho - that could cause an injury.

Thanks
Have been trying out the above and seems to be working (holding rabbit very close a tightly and getting as close to the ground and letting rabbit hop from my hands,rather then me putting him on floor)
Thank you all very much:D

A lot of rabbits do this - they are just tto impatient to wait th last 4 or 5 seconds to get where they are going!
You could try walking sort of side ways so they are facing away and don't see the hutch as they get closer. Or try having their head tucked just under the arm that is supporting their underneath (IF YOU SEE WHAT I MEAN!) dso that their eyes are covered. I agree - not a good idea to hold their legs as they could injure themselves in a struggle.

Back