• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I'm a little worried...

Dan W

Young Bun
My rabbit's been malting a lot more recently and today I brought him in from his run and put him down in the porch to clean his feed off and i found three areas of very thin fur, like bald patches; one to the left of his nose, a centimetre below his eye and two over both shoulder blades, the left being the worst. There seems to be no change in his behaviour or appetite. I did notice that him scratching with his back leg the patch on his face. If it matters, he recently got neutered, maybe a month ago (it's not long enough for the stitches to have fully dissolved) but I'm not sure and vaccinated against myximatosis and I changed his diet to a different pellet a few days ago. Should i worry? Should i visit the vets? He has had other problems, they were : conjunctivitis, fur mites, blocked tear ducts and a blocked bowel. All are better now, though. Oh, and if i gently take bits of fur between my fingers and lightly pull, some fur comes of in my hands.

What type of bun is he? I was reading a post on here the other day about moulting and I'm sure that someone mentioned a certain breed could end up looking a little bald in patches while moulting???

I would get the vet to check for mites again as they can be a cause of hair loss.

As for being able to pull out bits of fur - I can do that to deej when he is moulting (not that he likes it!) as he has a lot of fur to shed -especially around his butt! :lol:

I would also say get the vet to check again for mites or other skin problem if he is scratching.
Is he alright otherwise - eating, pooing like normal etc?

he's dwarf lop and eating, pooing normally. Sometimes he had misbehaving days and sometimes he is really nice, today is a misbehaving day but that is the only change in behaviour. The mites he had last time were visible and i can't see anything on him now. I'll just add that he is a year and 3/4 old and that there are a couple of nettles in his run that continually grow back despite my best efforts. Could they be irritating him, he does run through them sometimes.

Could be that, or could just be a heavy moult - the nape of the neck/shoulder balde area seems to be somewhere were my rabbits get quite thin (with fur) when they are moulting a lot. Its only the scratching that would worry me really - maybe see how he is in a few days then take him to the vet if it seems to still be a problem.

Back