• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Posh buns or arkward so and so's

What do you think?

• oooh they are right posh buns- they deserve only the best so start selling your possesions!

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • they are spoilt brat buns- they should eat what they are given

Votes: 16 76.2%
  • I have an amazing solution to your dilema which I shall post below

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Isabel

Warren Veteran
In my pursuit of bunny happiness I spent a fortune on posh hay but also loads of normal meadow hay to mix with the posh stuff cos I'm not rich. I've mixed it all up so they've got some posh and some normal bits but I've just realised that they've been picking out the nice bits and leaving the rest :rolleyes: I really can't afford for them to live off timothy!

Naughty so and sos!!! :lol:

mine get hay from the farm £2-£2.50 per bale with the occasional treat of green oat, forage or herbage... it all seems to go, but they do go for the posh stuff first :lol:

mine get hay from the farm £2-£2.50 per bale with the occasional treat of green oat, forage or herbage... it all seems to go, but they do go for the posh stuff first :lol:

awwwwwww I love your new signature! Roxy hides under Barney's ear too, its like a proper bunny hug ain't it.

They are pretty clever buns if they do that!!!! :lol: I would just buy normal hay and give it to them if they don't like they will have to lump it sorry brutal but maybe it will work :D

Esther x

mine have just been sulking for 3 days as we've run out of timothy and they love it. they are on normal meadow hay at £4 for a bale and not very happy :lol:

and they do pick the nice bits out too and scoff them when i mix the hay up :D

Luckily mine really like the cheaper meadow hay. I put that in their litter box, and since I cut down the amount of pellets, they have eaten all the hay in their litter box. They do get some posh hay, too, in another corner of their hutch, but not as much as meadow hay, and they don't go too crazy about posh hays. They also change their taste quite a lot, or maybe the batches of hay change in quality, who knows. They never really liked Timothy&Rye, but they seem to love the latest bag I bought.

hhhmmmm some good options there, I would worry about not giving them any posh stuff though in case they don't eat any more...its turning into a battle of wills at my house!

Have you tried the dust free stuff? Not that mine are particularly fussy - greedy little wotsits! - but they really dig into that.

Mine are exactly the same!:roll: I blame myself tho as I'm the wuss who backs down and gives the blighters what they want:oops: :lol: :lol: Alto I'm getting far stronger willpower to say No to them now that I have three buns - no more single-bun guilt trips!! hurrah!!:lol:

I've noticed that when I put out fresh posh hay they go mad and look really happy but then as soon as I've done that they are looking at me with this "and whats next? they can't be it mummy???":shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: I wouldn't mind but I always give them lots!!!:roll: :lol:

When I dont have any timothy hay or oat hay to mix with meadow hay I mix a handful of apple pellets from bunnybasics in with the hay, they smell the pellets in there and eat the lot so quickly just to get to them :lol:

I swapped to cheaper hay last year and Maa nearly starved herself to death rather than eat it - I have another £100 worth of timmy to order tomorrow - should last them 6 weeks :roll:

Mine generally are very good and aren't picky at all, because at 17 I can't afford to buy posh hays, especially with jabs and a possible teeth filing for Clove on the way.:( They get timothy when I can afford it, and they do enjoy it.
Anything they don't eat, ie celery and cucumber right away is always gone in the morning. They eat all their veggies, are fanatastic hay eaters and always have nice big poos. So I can't complain!

The only things they didn't eat were raspberries and courgette, the latter, no bun will eat!:lol:

I obviously spoil my lot with their £4 a bale hay!! I have 22buns with me at the mo and I could not afford to spoil them with all these expensive hays, but to be honest I think I would stick with the cheap hay anyway, they eat it, they always get good reports on their teeth from the vet and I personally think companies are cashing in on the "spoil my rabbit" idea and people are being guilted into using expensive hay. In the wild the rabbits don't get the expensive stuff and whilst it's nice to treat our pets, feeling obliged is wrong.

***dashing for cover now***

I have to admit, I AM guilty of indulging my buns in a few of the more posh treats sometimes. Alfalfa is their absolute favourite, closely followed by Timothy. But I make sure NOT to give it to them every day, as I don't want them to reach the point where they refuse to eat the regular stuff!!!:roll: :lol:

Mine get what they are given:oops: :lol: I got 20odd mouths to feed ok:lol: :lol:

If I get a fussy foster in, i do indulge them for a bit, & mine do get treats & veg catered to each one (Spice & Barley love cherry tomoatoes, Joey loves toast, Flint loves spinach etc) but I put food down & it's each bun for himself:lol:

I've bought fancy hay before, but as a rule, I buy dust-extracted racehorse hay for £1.75 a bale, & that's what they get fed!

I obviously spoil my lot with their £4 a bale hay!! I have 22buns with me at the mo and I could not afford to spoil them with all these expensive hays, but to be honest I think I would stick with the cheap hay anyway, they eat it, they always get good reports on their teeth from the vet and I personally think companies are cashing in on the "spoil my rabbit" idea and people are being guilted into using expensive hay. In the wild the rabbits don't get the expensive stuff and whilst it's nice to treat our pets, feeling obliged is wrong.

***dashing for cover now***

I agree Chloe!

Back