• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice on Nippy Dutch

hunnybun

Mama Doe
I have a 4 yr old spayed female Dutch in the rescue, she is very feisty and last week while I was standing in the run beside her she actually launched herself up jumped up and bit my hand! I got down on the ground and detached her!! and she flew for my other hand, drew more blood then went for my ankles twice!! she is the same when I go into her hutch. I have had aggressive rabbits before but she takes the biscuit!! any advice ? :shock:

I've thankfully never had to deal with an aggressive rabbit, but I'd suggest thick gloves and wellies

Agree with Kathryn, Thick gloves!! That way, you arent scared. Bunny picks up on this and thinks Ook theres no point biting her, she doesnt care. It could be out of fear you know, whats her background? I totally believe that Jen was only so aggressive because she was scared :( Soon as she realised that biting didnt help and that I wasnt going to hurt her, she started cowering and running away, rather than biting-if that makes sense? Alternative to sorting her out is to send her to me of course :lol: Xx

I've thankfully never had to deal with an aggressive rabbit, but I'd suggest thick gloves and wellies

ROFL, I now approach her with thick gloves, Kevlar sleeves and wellies :lol: one of the bites she gave me was close to needing stitches!! and is still very sore :shock:

Agree with Kathryn, Thick gloves!! That way, you arent scared. Bunny picks up on this and thinks Ook theres no point biting her, she doesnt care. It could be out of fear you know, whats her background? I totally believe that Jen was only so aggressive because she was scared :( Soon as she realised that biting didnt help and that I wasnt going to hurt her, she started cowering and running away, rather than biting-if that makes sense? Alternative to sorting her out is to send her to me of course :lol: Xx

I am not scared of her :oops: and she does not appear to be scared of me! I sit down beside her and once i have a hold of her she is not so bad but at the same time you can see she is just waiting on a chance to bite me! :shock:

I used a glove puppet to approach a 'biter', I would put it near her and she would groom it and I would make it groom her (ie I was stroking her), she learnt that it I approached her with the glove puppet on, it was for nice things - not to be picked up... I then took the glove puppet off and stroked her with my hand (with the puppet still next to her). Now, I can approach her and stroke her bare handed with confidence... if she does get at all nervy or worried, I just show her the glove puppet, and she puts her head down for a stroke! :D
It's to do with the association: glove puppet = nice strokes (but also acts as protection if she does choose to bite!)

ROFL, I now approach her with thick gloves, Kevlar sleeves and wellies :lol: one of the bites she gave me was close to needing stitches!! and is still very sore :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol: maybe one of us should invent a bite proof suit :lol:

Poor you, I was bitten by a hamster years ago and still have the numb white scar to prove it :(

I have Tammy with me at the mo and she was terrible, snorting and lunging and what not - then I got her spayed and a completely different bun emerged - possibly the association of biting me as I put her in her carrier and ending up at the vets for the op! - anyway, after effects of spay have worn off and Tammy is back!! She defiantly wees on my sofa and poops on my rug :roll: and when I was sat stroking her on the sofa the other day she just suddenly lunged and bit my arm - 1" gap between bottom teeth marks and top teeth marks - Mardy mare with a big gob!!

Sooz did send a pair of gloves with her but I am loathe to use them, don't know if I see it as defeat or just not being able to stroke and handle her as well. Plus they don't go up to my elbows!! :rolleyes: :lol: :lol:

She is better than she was, when she is out and about we are letting her come to us and not touch her, when she is in her cage I make a point of stroking her in there cos that's where she really snorts and kicks up and I do pick her up once a day - cunning trick is that I use her dewlap as a cushion between her and me and hold her quite firmly so she can't wriggle round and bite - she's a lot more relaxed in my arms now although still not a preferred place to be.

If anyone else has any more tips I would love to hear them!! :D

I used a glove puppet to approach a 'biter', I would put it near her and she would groom it and I would make it groom her (ie I was stroking her), she learnt that it I approached her with the glove puppet on, it was for nice things - not to be picked up... I then took the glove puppet off and stroked her with my hand (with the puppet still next to her). Now, I can approach her and stroke her bare handed with confidence... if she does get at all nervy or worried, I just show her the glove puppet, and she puts her head down for a stroke! :D
It's to do with the association: glove puppet = nice strokes (but also acts as protection if she does choose to bite!)

:lol: That is an amazing bit of rabbit psychology - Well done!

:lol: That is an amazing bit of rabbit psychology - Well done!

thanks :lol: :lol: :lol: don't really know why I thought to do it - but she loves her little piggy glove-puppet! Perhaps because she's a lonely single bun she thinks that he loves her too :cry:

Back